The Student Room Group

Edexcel M1 June 2013 Question 3, do I get full marks?

My working our seems very different to the mark scheme, but I got the same exact answer. I'm just wondering if I will get the full marks. I would really appreciate if some of you could tell me if my answer will get the full 8 marks.

Past paper: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6677_01_que_20130513.pdf

Mark scheme: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6677_01_msc_20130815.pdf

My answer: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1024/7710lq5b33gye73zg.jpg

Thanks
Reda
Reply 1
Original post by Reda2

It's actually quite similar. That would get you full marks. Well done on the presentation and layout, it's very neat and readable; any examiner would be impressed!
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
It's actually quite similar. That would get you full marks. Well done on the presentation and layout, it's very neat and readable; any examiner would be impressed!

Thank very much! I was just worried about the way I did the angel, I found alpha as a decimal and just used it that way.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Reda2
Thank very much! I was just worried about the way I did the angel, I found alpha as a decimal and just used it that way.

Thanks

Nothing really wrong with that. You should practice using the "ANS" button on your caculator. If you'd found the angle by doing arctan whatever, the doing sine [ANS] would have gotten you an exact value and simplified your working considerably. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Reda2

Thanks

The reason they give you tanα=34\tan \alpha = \frac{3}{4} is so you can find cosα\cos \alpha and sinα\sin \alpha without having to use your calculator.

Since tanα=34\tan \alpha = \frac{3}{4}, you have a right-angled triangle with an acute angle α\alpha, opposite length 3 and adjacent length 4. So the hypotenuse must be 5 and then working out cosα\cos\alpha and sinα\sin\alpha as fractions is simple.

But you wouldn't lose a mark if you made sure you didn't round the calculator value.
Reply 5
Original post by notnek
The reason they give you tanα=34\tan \alpha = \frac{3}{4} is so you can find cosα\cos \alpha and sinα\sin \alpha without having to use your calculator.

Since tanα=34\tan \alpha = \frac{3}{4}, you have a right-angled triangle with an acute angle α\alpha, opposite length 3 and adjacent length 4. So the hypotenuse must be 5 and then working out cosα\cos\alpha and sinα\sin\alpha as fractions is simple.

But you wouldn't lose a mark if you made sure you didn't round the calculator value.

Yes, I think I should get used to doing it that way, its also takes less time!
Reply 6
Original post by Reda2
Yes, I think I should get used to doing it that way, its also takes less time!

Draw a right angled triangle, it helps figure out exact ratios easily without the need for ugly irrational numbers. :smile:
Do you get full marks? You have the mark scheme right in front of you.

Nice pen btw, where you get it from?
Reply 8
Impressive that you think it is paper and ink! Lol. I use the Surface Pro 4.

Quick Reply

Latest