The Student Room Group

Can I be a doctor and a banker?

Scroll to see replies

If you don't need to sleep then you can probably accomplish that
Original post by TheYearThrowaway
It's not being greedy.

To be honest it all comes down to whether or not you really enjoy science + people. Being a doctor is a fantastic career that makes a lot of money and teaches you a lot of life skills but the level of pressure and responsibility that comes with is tremendous. It's NOT as glamorous as people make it out to be.
Original post by RDB1826
It's fairly unreasonable to try to train in both fields simultaneously, you'll probably end up diluting the quality of your training for either vocation. But, there's nothing stopping you from training to become a doctor whilst having some interest in finance, such as property. But obviously complete your whole training first.

Yes a medical career is long, but it's a stable steady progression and all it's saying is that a career in Medicine involves lifelong learning. Becoming a senior banker takes many years I presume also, so it's no quick solution, no 'easy money'.

Besides, focus on A-Levels mate.

I gotta choose my future career early though, so that I know what I want to do and get work experience etc..
Original post by Serine Soul
I saw a rather interesting post on Twitter today (ignore David Cameron)

Spoiler

Nonsense! Money is love. Money is life. :colone:
I want to do both because if I become a doctor i'll find it great and rewarding but banking is basically easy money so i'm stuck between those two.

I'm sure it's possible for me to be a junior doctor and train part time for banking?

No. It's not. The hours you have to work to make it in banking are even worse than those in medicine. Part time is not an option. And banking is not "easy money" - big money, yes, if you're good, but not easy.

Do you actually know anything about either career, or have you just picked them because they sound cool and you think you'll make money?
The mind set you have is great for being a banker, not so much for being a doctor...

Honestly even beginning to fathom how difficult it would be to do both is just...NO.
Honestly I believe anything is possible

Come on, think realistically both junior doctors and bankers do ridiculous number of hours. Not to mention that you cant do two degrees at once. Even if you do one, the hours are too much.

Wait next year and see which career you prefer
Original post by Helenia
No. It's not. The hours you have to work to make it in banking are even worse than those in medicine. Part time is not an option. And banking is not "easy money" - big money, yes, if you're good, but not easy.

Do you actually know anything about either career, or have you just picked them because they sound cool and you think you'll make money?

it sounds like he's googled 'high paying jobs' and has just picked a couple from the first page
Honestly I believe anything is possible

You wouldnt ask such a question if you understood what each involved. Carry on chasing the money though
Is this a genuine question?!
Hahahaha dream on m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently in year 11 and I am going to start sixth form in September to study Maths, Biology, Economics and Chemistry. I feel that this is a great range of subjects for my future career.

I have heard of how long the medical career is so I was wondering if it is possible for me to train to become a banker at the same time as training to become a doctor or is it virtually impossible?

Any tips or advice will be taken into consideration. Thanks!

Short answer: you can do a medical degree and then apply for a job in finance. You'd be ushered towards healthcare/pharmaceuticals coverage, either in Investment Banking or Equity Research.

Longer anwer:

Why?

You'd be throwing away your chance at going into one of the most reverred and respected fields with the sunk cost of a 5-6 year degree course that is in-part tax-payer funded, and actually costs upwards of £150k to administer. All for the chance of making more dosh.

I mean, I'd get it if you were genuinely more interested in finance, but there are shorter and less wasteful ways to get there. One of which is studying any old degree that tickles your fancy at one of the 'target' or 'semi-target' universities, whilst busting your butt to get work experience, and/or extracurricular involvment on your CV.

My advice to you is choose between the two. Either fully commit to becoming a doctor, or study anything you want whilst keeping your options open.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Nonsense! Money is love. Money is life. :colone:

Give me your money and a shredder :sexface:
Original post by Serine Soul
Give me your money and a shredder :sexface:

No. :frown:
Listen, I have heard how doctors find jobs once they are in their early 30's, late 20's, but bankers can earn a lot more than doctors whilst doing less work and being younger. So I really don't know what is the best as they are both great in my opinion.

So what is more important to you?Job satisfaction or money? Both degrees are competitive and hard work. Yes, there are people who have done medicine and then gone into banking and given up with medicine because it wasn't for them but you have to enter a career because you enjoy what you do. I'm a medical student and even though I initially wanted to take the maths route, I realised the careers from maths weren't for me and I'm loving medicine at the most, even though its very hard work sometimes.
Being a banker is hard work, but yes it is a shorter route and you earn well, but you have to decide one or the other; both jobs are completing different interests. As a banker, making money is the centre of it, whereas as a doctor, patients always come first.
You're still in year 11 so have time to decide, and also time to work on that naïve mindset.
Original post by derma2019
So what is more important to you?Job satisfaction or money? Both degrees are competitive and hard work. Yes, there are people who have done medicine and then gone into banking and given up with medicine because it wasn't for them but you have to enter a career because you enjoy what you do. I'm a medical student and even though I initially wanted to take the maths route, I realised the careers from maths weren't for me and I'm loving medicine at the most, even though its very hard work sometimes.
Being a banker is hard work, but yes it is a shorter route and you earn well, but you have to decide one or the other; both jobs are completing different interests. As a banker, making money is the centre of it, whereas as a doctor, patients always come first.
You're still in year 11 so have time to decide, and also time to work on that naïve mindset.

Not true, clients come first because helping them, helps the bankers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh I know a 4th year med who left his 100k a year job in a bank to do medicine, hes 38 tho
I want to do both because if I become a doctor i'll find it great and rewarding but banking is basically easy money so i'm stuck between those two.

I'm sure it's possible for me to be a junior doctor and train part time for banking?

Either you're a troll or you are woefully underinformed about whats involved in becoming a doctor. Medical degrees are exhausting in terms of workload, forget even about having a student job let alone training to be a banker on the side. The situation doesn't get any better once you graduate either, enter professional exams, long and antisocial working hours and the removal of safeguards proposed by this current government. Why do you think junior doctors are striking? You will barely have time to eat or sleep let alone do banking, which on its own comes with a good 70-100+ hour work week (work for a city firm and you will be fortunate if you get more than 4-5 hours sleep a night) All the self belief and optimism in the world wont change the fact that there isnt enough hours in the day for you to do that
(edited 8 years ago)
doing medicine is FULL time degree and beyond. I think you really need to understand that before we considering being a doctor as career.
I am currently in year 11 and I am going to start sixth form in September to study Maths, Biology, Economics and Chemistry. I feel that this is a great range of subjects for my future career.

I have heard of how long the medical career is so I was wondering if it is possible for me to train to become a banker at the same time as training to become a doctor or is it virtually impossible?

Any tips or advice will be taken into consideration. Thanks!

I take it you don't keep up with the news/have any idea what's going on with junior doctors at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending