The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gwagon
Hey guys,
I've just started looking at spring 2017 programs and to be frank I am a newbie to the world of finance and banking. I was checking out the JPM careers stie and they seem to have programs for Markets, IB and Asset Management. Which one should I apply for, or roughly what are the differences between them? Thanks!

Also I posted links in the sixth form FAQ to various sites, would appreciate you doing your own research first because most people on here would be doing the same. Then come back with more appropriate Qs than: what is this, and what should I choose..

+ search for the european vault guide to investment banking

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Also I posted links in the sixth form FAQ to various sites, would appreciate you doing your own research first because most people on here would be doing the same. Then come back with more appropriate Qs than: what is this, and what should I choose..

+ search for the european vault guide to investment banking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please can you give a link to google so i know what to google :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Please can you give a link to google so i know what to google :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://bfy.tw/2Ph

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
Original post by gwagon
Hey guys,
I've just started looking at spring 2017 programs and to be frank I am a newbie to the world of finance and banking. I was checking out the JPM careers stie and they seem to have programs for Markets, IB and Asset Management. Which one should I apply for, or roughly what are the differences between them? Thanks!

You should figure this out yourself or you'll get absolutely grilled in the interviews if you'll even make it this far assuming how poor and dull your cover letter will sound if you've no clue about your career path. SW requires a lot of work, research, networking and practising for tests etc. The competition is absolutely fierce, especially at top firms such as MS/GS/JPM.

daaaammmnnnnn prince, back at it again with the next level bantz :')
Original post by RWiz
You should figure this out yourself or you'll get absolutely grilled in the interviews if you'll even make it this far assuming how poor and dull your cover letter will sound if you've no clue about your career path. SW requires a lot of work, research, networking and practising for tests etc. The competition is absolutely fierce, especially at top firms such as MS/GS/JPM.

How much do I need to know about finance for an SW placement? Is it too late to start learning?
Original post by gwagon
How much do I need to know about finance for an SW placement? Is it too late to start learning?

What division?

I would say if you want to apply a bit later like start/mid October and start learning until then you will be fine.

A lot of work tho haha.... competition is high.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gwagon

Not a huge amount, but asking what is investment banking doesn't bode too well.. especially when you will almost certainly be asked (both at interview and in application questions) why you applied to that division specifically.

Anyway, there's shitloads of info out there go do some digging before you start uni mate, also keep up with the news and prep yourself for the process (practice online tests, practice competency interview questions, lookup brainteasers etc). You're up against a pretty cutthroat set of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Just seen from the SA chat that UBS didn't do their logical test this year, does anyone know if that's the same with the SW?
Original post by banana5
Just seen from the SA chat that UBS didn't do their logical test this year, does anyone know if that's the same with the SW?

It would be the same across everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would be the same across everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you applied to anything thus far?
Original post by banana5
Have you applied to anything thus far?

Nah, waiting for the others to open and doing test prep atm. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Original post by gwagon

What Prince said!
Reply 594

Posted from TSR Mobile

What provider do you use? I've used Jobpreptest for my current gig, but have heard a lot of good about graduatemonkey.
Original post by RWiz
What provider do you use? I've used Jobpreptest for my current gig, but have heard a lot of good about graduatemonkey.

Yeah, people have been raving about gradmonkey on the summer thread.. I'm currently using assessmentday and may get gradmonkey later on if I finish up the tests available on AD. How did you find JTP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same with me. Doing test work mainly would be such a shame to get rejected in the first stage.
Original post by banana5
Yeah same with me. Doing test work mainly would be such a shame to get rejected in the first stage.

Exactly, they're a real pest too with 70th percentile+ pass rates :/ At least some firms don't have tests anymore thankfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 598
Yeah, people have been raving about gradmonkey on the summer thread.. I'm currently using assessmentday and may get gradmonkey later on if I finish up the tests available on AD. How did you find JTP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like the "learning by doing" approach, which JTP basically was. It's a little bit expensive I think, but you can buy a premium membership for a monthly fee and during that period you'll have access to all the tests and they come with extensive answers to all the questions and a nice interface. They also have tests tailored for each major bank, but it may be a bit BS, considering they have tests for Goldman Sachs etc.

I saw graduate monkey came with 150 page e-books etc. which I personally think is a really *****y way to learn to pass these tests.
Original post by RWiz
I really like the "learning by doing" approach, which JTP basically was. It's a little bit expensive I think, but you can buy a premium membership for a monthly fee and during that period you'll have access to all the tests and they come with extensive answers to all the questions and a nice interface. They also have tests tailored for each major bank, but it may be a bit BS, considering they have tests for Goldman Sachs etc.

I saw graduate monkey came with 150 page e-books etc. which I personally think is a really *****y way to learn to pass these tests.

Fair enough, sounds somewhat similar to assessment day, but they have tests more geared to different providers.

Lol they probably used GS to sell the site, considering they don't test people at all :biggrin:*

Latest