Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on hiding money

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    My grandma has recently sold her villa in Alicante and received, after Solicitors fees and Spanish taxes, £84,000. She currently lives in sheltered accommodation as she is elderly and she has never had to pay rent on the accommodation prior to receiving the funds. She is going to be expected to pay now each month, as she is only allowed £15,000, max in her bank before she has to start paying. I have thought the idea of a "gift" payment to a spouse or family member is capped at £30k (tax-free), which leaves £54k. Does anyone else have an alternative to a gift payment, which would stop Social Services taking all the money my grandma received (bar £15k she can legally keep) as she has paid taxes her whole life and that she shouldn't have to give all her money back to Social Services, when she has had it free all this time. She pays her own Elec and Gas at the moment and she just has the rent paid for by the Social Services. Can anyone shed any light on what she could do to avoid them making her pay all her money back to them?

    Take it all in cash, and hide it in a fireproof safe in a wall in your house behind a portrait, wallahhhh!

    Try hiding it in Panama.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.