The Student Room Group

Anyone doing or done ACA qualification?

Hello I wanted to ask has anyone done or is currently doing the ACA qualification??

Thanks
Reply 1
As in How many papers have you done?

How was the ACA qualification?

What size firm were you in?
Original post by helpmekid
As in How many papers have you done?

How was the ACA qualification?

What size firm were you in?

Hi, I've completed certificate level and have an exemption for Financial Management at the professional level. Currently working towards siting Tax Compliance, Audit and Assurance, and Financial Accounting and Reporting in June.

The exams aren't too difficult, the sheer amount of content to learn is the main issue with these exams I think.

I'm in audit at Deloitte.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by NaUmarly
Hi, I've completed certificate level and have an exemption for Financial Management at the professional level. Currently working towards siting Tax Compliance, Audit and Assurance, and Financial Accounting and Reporting in June.

The exams aren't too difficult, the sheer amount of content to learn is the main issue with these exams I think.

I'm in audit at Deloitte.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What techniques do you use for that in bold?
What's the point of becoming an accountant, you're all gonna be replaced by computers anyway
Reply 5
Original post by darkvibes
What's the point of becoming an accountant, you're all gonna be replaced by computers anyway

The type of AI that we will see over the next few decades will replace a specific subset of tasks, just like non-AI computers have been taking over tasks over the past few decades. There's nothing revolutionary about this; we have seen machinery replace human tasks for centuries, and accountants have already seen their role change at an accelerated pace in recent years. I suppose, if you believe an accountant is someone who adds numbers using pen and paper, that accountant has already been replaced by computers.

Personally, I welcome the change. There is a multitude of fairly manual tasks (reading / filing emails, scheduling meetings, simple tasks in excel, etc) that I would love to hand over to an AI function, allowing me to focus on complex tasks that requires human intelligence.
Original post by Phusion
The type of AI that we will see over the next few decades will replace a specific subset of tasks, just like non-AI computers have been taking over tasks over the past few decades. There's nothing revolutionary about this; we have seen machinery replace human tasks for centuries, and accountants have already seen their role change at an accelerated pace in recent years. I suppose, if you believe an accountant is someone who adds numbers using pen and paper, that accountant has already been replaced by computers.

Personally, I welcome the change. There is a multitude of fairly manual tasks (reading / filing emails, scheduling meetings, simple tasks in excel, etc) that I would love to hand over to an AI function, allowing me to focus on complex tasks that requires human intelligence.

But which parts require human intelligence? I guess i have the stereotypical view of an accountant
Reply 7
Original post by darkvibes
But which parts require human intelligence? I guess i have the stereotypical view of an accountant

There are certainly tasks that can be automated, for example "ticking" ie, when you inspect an invoice and agree the amount back to the accounting system. But what if that invoice happens to be issued to a company which you recognise from the news as being involved in dodgy practices, and what if the amount also seems a lot higher (or lower) than you would have expected for that particular batch of goods? Even in really simple tasks that can be easily automated, human intelligence will be able to uncover error or fraud where machines would not.

Similarly, when it comes to investment decisions and valuations, even sophisticated AI algorithms are unlikely to develop the same level of proficiency as a skilled accountant. Say, for example, that you have a traditional shoe manufacturer that can either expand their range to trainers or start selling shirts and ties. The decision will rely on a significant amount of factors, and the AI algorithms available today are unlikely to identify all these inputs you can train them for specific tasks, like identifying patterns in sales data, but you can't teach them human intuition, experience and intelligence.

I think most accountants would (or should) see AI as an opportunity rather than a threat. If I faced the choice, I would definitely prefer spending more time on investment decisions than ticking auto-generated invoices back to systems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending