Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Why am I still considered a migrant worker?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I moved to the UK in Dec 2011 for work. In Sep 2014 I decided to star a uni course and continued working and qualified as a migrant worker. I wasn't able for that course and left after failing. I started a new course in sep 2015 at the same university. It is a different course and on the 1 Sep that year I had been in England for 3 years and 9 months why am I still being treated as a migrant worker? Can I have a link to the legislation?

    Semi related - I haven't been to see my family in almost 4 years and work are refusing to give me unpaid leave without issuing me without ending my contract and issuing a new contract. If I go to visit my family for 8 weeks in summer and come back to a new contract with the same job will I lose my migrant worker status?
    • Thread Starter

    Well it's only been two months may as well give this a bump.

    Hi SunJun

    I would advise you to call us to check the applications details held as you have a few different years of study. At the beginning of your course starting September 2015, you would need to have had 3 years residency in the UK (so 3 years 9 months would be ok) to be classed as a home student and not a migrant worker.
    Please call: 0300 100 0607

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2016
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.