The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GO97
what does this mean? sorry if i sound stupid

I have have no idea myself 😅 but i think its another way of saying theyre spherical
Original post by GO97
im not well informed on the perfect ionic model theory can someone who knows it well bullet point the key ideas

It assumes ions are perfectly spherical
Assumes no covalent character
Real value may be more negative (I think) because of any covalent character present
(the negative thing check, It may be more positive)
Original post by GO97
what does this mean? sorry if i sound stupid

Not sure about chem but in Physics point charge means the entire charge acts froma singlular point (rather than enitre ion) like the centre of mass , rather the centre of charge
Hi! Could someone PLEASE tell me how you know if there will be a further reaction, if given E theta values of electrochemical cells? I'm feverishly trying to look through notes haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2144
Original post by vish.handa
Not sure about chem but in Physics point charge means the entire charge acts froma singlular point (rather than enitre ion) like the centre of mass , rather the centre of charge

ah okay i dont do physics lol but that sounds like its assuming that there is no distortion in the charge, similar to what jmedi said
Reply 2145
Original post by GO97
ah okay i dont do physics lol but that sounds like its assuming that there is no distortion in the charge, similar to what jmedi said

Yeah it means the same thing.
Hello everybody hope revisions going ok!

Just wanted 2 ask, how much do you need 2 know abt alkaline half equations like how do we know when 2 use alkaline half equations
Reply 2147
Original post by Jmedi
Yeah it means the same thing.

ok nice im grasping this now
Reply 2148
Original post by Aliceeee12
Hello everybody hope revisions going ok!

Just wanted 2 ask, how much do you need 2 know abt alkaline half equations like how do we know when 2 use alkaline half equations

They will tell you if it's in alkaline solution
Original post by Jmedi
There is only ionic interaction, electrostatic forces
The ions are perfect spheres (no charge cloud distortion)

no covalent character

It assumes ions are perfectly spherical
Assumes no covalent character
Real value may be more negative (I think) because of any covalent character present
(the negative thing check, It may be more positive)

I use covalent character/interaction interchangeably - is this ok? Since I've seen on markschemes for perfect ionic model they say no covalent INTERACTION
Reply 2150
so if u have more distortion of charge, then the ions are less spherical, theoretical enthalpy will be higher and there will be more covalent interactions??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GO97
so if u have more distortion of charge, then the theoretical enthalpy will be higher and there will be more covalent interactions??

well would it be more exo or endo, once you've got that in your head then no need to worry about remembering which way it goes , I dont know though haha hoping someone will pop up who knows
Reply 2152
well would it be more exo or endo, once you've got that in your head then no need to worry about remembering which way it goes , I dont know though haha hoping someone will pop up who knows

lattice dissociation would be more endothermic
Reply 2153

i remeber my teacher always talking about the size and polarity of atoms/ions when it came to these types of questions but im not too sure how they relate(i doze in class really easily)
Original post by Kikstar
Hi! Could someone PLEASE tell me how you know if there will be a further reaction, if given E theta values of electrochemical cells? I'm feverishly trying to look through notes haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Q7(d) in Jan 13 is a good example of this - look at the mark scheme to clarify.

Essentially one oxidising agent is strong enough to oxidise the reducing agent twice
Original post by GO97
anything without an essay is a steal in my eyes haha. lets hope we get the grades we need

That's one of the only nice things about the paper :P

Good luck for your exams!
Reply 2156
Original post by GO97
i remeber my teacher always talking about the size and polarity of atoms/ions when it came to these types of questions but im not too sure how they relate(i doze in class really easily)

smaller ions increases the lattice enthalpy and so will increased charge
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
Q7(d) in Jan 13 is a good example of this - look at the mark scheme to clarify.

Essentially one oxidising agent is strong enough to oxidise the reducing agent twice

Thank you so much! I can now sleep in peace haha. Best of luck in your exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2158
[Al(h20)6]2+ + OH- ===> [Al(OH)4]- + 3h20

is this equation right for excess oh- being added to aluminium
Can someone tell me bond angles for square planar please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending