The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rabadon
Got ch3-o-ch2-ch2-coh(ch3)2 same as loads of you

but it's tertiary alcohol so wrong fml

Same but I'm hoping some kind marker can understand my doodles so I get method marks!
Reply 781
What did people put for the test between the haloalkane and the acyl chloride?
Original post by clarkey500
I got a number between 8 and 10 but I can't remember what

8.73%?
what did people say for the reactant and conditions of the first part of Q8 to form the alcohol and salt and how to obtain the salt?
i put conc NaOH then put reflux (literally made this up because had no clue)
then i put chromatography, idk why this question stumped me so much
Reply 784
Alright I'm going to throw what I got out there HO-Ch2-C(CH3)2-Ch2-O-Ch3
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 09aghandhi
that sucks mann, i didn't think it was that hard compared to previous years, personally i did quite well(aiming for a*, gotta do well in chem 5 too for that) i think in general there will be fairly high boundries, 2-3 up from last year.

I'm glad that you did well but it definitely was a hard paper compared to previous years, many people found it hard so the boundaries will be low
Original post by Cadherin
That wasn't too bad, just a bit unlike past papers and I was REALLY pushed for time. I finished as she said 'pens down'.

Did anyone else get the rate expression as exactly the same in the question?

Also, what was the reason for lidocaine hydrochloride? I said to prevent the N acting as a base by protonating it and so reduces side effects. I spent about 5 minutes looking for a chiral carbon in that compound to talk about enantiomers, but I couldn't see one!

I put that Lidocaine is not very soluble (0.4-5mg per ml) whilst the hydrochloride salt is, making it useful for a topical anaesthetic...not sure if I'm right as thats a lot of background knowledge
Original post by Sani Ej
What were the orders of reaction?

I put: D 1st, E 2nd
What did you get for number of carbon peaks?
Original post by thomaarrss
how the **** are we supposed to know what a medical suture is?!! now i know its a stitch that can dissolve so i could answer the question but i didn't know that in the exam did i

it did tell you it was a stitch in the exam RTFQ
Ch3-o-ch2-c(ch3)2-ch2oh ??
ITT: People didn't revise enough so didn't do well then come here to look for other people agreeing with them and say "The grade boundaries will be low"
Reply 792
Did anyone get 1st and 2nd order for the rate equation question. The numbers were so awkward.
Original post by t0310

I put silver nitrate in aqueous solution. Forming white ppt for the halo alkane and nothing for the acyl one.
Original post by thehollowcrown
what did people say for the reactant and conditions of the first part of Q8 to form the alcohol and salt and how to obtain the salt?
i put conc NaOH then put reflux (literally made this up because had no clue)
then i put chromatography, idk why this question stumped me so much

I said NaOH and heat under reflux and then had no clue so said to distil the alcohol off which is so wrong
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm any tips on how to prepare for mcdonalds interview and any resources? Thanks in advance

p.s. asking for a friend
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Engineerrookie
Rate equation no longer has propanone in it because it's concentration is now so large it is considered a constant,

I got the last question wrong do you think i will get any marks I got

CH3 O CH2CH2C(CH3)2OH yes it's a tertiary alcohol :frown:

hey why are u worrying atleast u got the alcohol part right i misread the question and lost all nine marks
acid base reaction with ethanoic acid and nitric acid?

i got tertiary, crossed it out, then did whatever heh, hopefully i get working out marks.
And **** my life i wrote NH3 ine xcess, completely forgot cyanide was added prior to it... **** **** ****
Original post by the1pedro
For the conversion of the haloalkane to the nitrile I put KCN dissolved in ethanol.
And for the conversion of the nitrile to the amine I put ammonia in excess.
Thinks this was the last part of that question 😁

You got the 1st half right but the 2nd half wrong, you already have the N from the -CN so the second half should be H2 with a Nickel/Pt catalyst, I wrote ammonia too to begin with but changed it as the woman said pencils down haha
Original post by t0310

I put methanol because when you add alcohol to an acyl chloride you get an ester so a fruity smell? Idk if thats a good enough observation though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending