The Student Room Group

Group work is evil advice please?

Basically, i am fuming.

I have a piece of group work due in and it's split as follows:

80% Assignment 1:

10% weekly tasks
20% presentation
40% Report (30% Individual, 10% group element)
10% Peer assessment

20% Assignment 2:
20% Exam

I need to get a 2:1 in this module if not higher, I have passed the Examination, I have 9% of the weekly tasks which gives me an all round 19% so far.

My section in the report is really good, but obviously it all has to link. 3 out of 5 of my group members have been really lazy and not done the work and handed in poor work that's not even wrote in third person, and used words such as "don't" and "can't" and not referenced anything, and not used any terminology or even done the basic requirements for their section.

I really need to do well, so basically what do i do? Do i focus on just my section and allow their poor sections to get them low grades? or do i do the work for them? and hope to get a higher in the 10% and maybe more in the individual if the work links?

Please help because i'm feeling ready to strange someone. Obvs i don't want to do others work for them but do you think it will help my grade anymore as i really need a good grade myself and id rather do it for a good grade than leave it and get a **** grade? There's also a group log being submitted too, so i dont know if that will help to the grade distribution

thanks
depends how your course marks group work... I knew people who submitted what each person did and you essentially got a mark for that, if the group hasn't worked well together you might still lose a bit but you wouldn't get a 3rd because someone else did crap in their section... on my course the only place where that counted was on the final 5-10% where you would basically get the full 10% if you did a lot of work and get 0% if you did nothing, but if the overall piece was crap everyone got a bad grade on the other 90%, they also went with the 'overall' opinion so if half the group backed each other up then no one was penalised for not contributing anyway

if your tutor is approachable it might be worth having a word to see if their work will affect your mark and then decide if it's worth redoing for them, it's frustrating but you have to think of yourself and if doing a few extra hours of work could be the 1% that takes you from 69% to 70% perhaps it's worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending