The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Transfer to Open University after year 1 (Query)

Hello all, I have searched for an answer to my question but have came up short thus far, so I apologie if this question has been asked previously.

I am currently nearing the end of my first year of an engineering degree at a brick university, and whilst I do enjoy my course and fully expect to pass this year, I feel that I would definitely prefer to study mathematics/physics and have taken great interest in the Q77 BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Physics degree offered by the Open University.

I intend to make an application for credit transfer with the hopes of being able to begin the degree with the level 2 modules, is this a reasonable expectation considering my engineering background?

I also was curious as to how I could determine the amount of credits I would be eligible to transfer at this point in time as I am still at my current university so I couldn't send a transcript at this point as iv not completed my final exams yet, but I fear that by the time I do receive my results it may be to late to apply, any suggestions on what I could do at this point would be much appreciated, thank you.
Original post by js93uk
Hello all, I have searched for an answer to my question but have came up short thus far, so I apologie if this question has been asked previously.

I am currently nearing the end of my first year of an engineering degree at a brick university, and whilst I do enjoy my course and fully expect to pass this year, I feel that I would definitely prefer to study mathematics/physics and have taken great interest in the Q77 BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Physics degree offered by the Open University.

I intend to make an application for credit transfer with the hopes of being able to begin the degree with the level 2 modules, is this a reasonable expectation considering my engineering background?

I also was curious as to how I could determine the amount of credits I would be eligible to transfer at this point in time as I am still at my current university so I couldn't send a transcript at this point as iv not completed my final exams yet, but I fear that by the time I do receive my results it may be to late to apply, any suggestions on what I could do at this point would be much appreciated, thank you.

It takes approximately 6 weeks for a transfer. You can reserve your slot for the year 2 (level2) modules while you wait for your transfer to be processed. I submitted in August a few years back and it completed by the deadline of September. But your should submit it the week you get your results to be safe and avoid disappointment.

Whether or not they allow a full 120 credit transfer is another question. I suspect you will need at the least, equivalent maths modules that cover Calculus 1, Linear Algebra 1 and some physics principles modules.

Your engineering degree is likely accredited by the IET? The Maths and Physics degree is not accredited by the Institute of Physics. Have you thought about OU Physics? It still has a tremendous amount of math concepts. A lot of people talk about the Maths and Physics degree pathway in the student open uni forum, I think the general statement could be made that a lot of people end up switching to straight Physics (at the cost of extending their studies).
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi David I have since checked out the Natural Sciences (Physics) pathway and do like the fact that it would allow me to study more than two level 3 physics modules, as opposed to two physics and two maths with the other pathway.

Also you mentioned being able to reserve a place at level 2? How would I do this exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

The only reason it's important to me that I can transfer to level 2 is that im afraid that student finance may not fund me for the entirety of the course if I had to start from scratch, as I have previously completed an integrated foundation year as-well as my first year (soon).

Oh and yes my current programme is accredited by the IET and I have completed sufficient mathematics and physics (from what I can see) that relates to OU level 1.
Just call them at and say you want to book onto level 2 while you wait for credit transfer. If you don't get the answer you want, call again, some call centre agents can be hit or miss. I think they higher a lot of temp staff during peak seasons and its been hit or miss for me when I need info.

Open University is classed as part time study and thus classed as part time funding, your getting funding thats classed as full time funding. They are different and as of last year they are independent of each other. Mainly because as with full time studying you get access to more money for like living expenses and such, Part time funding pays for your course only. Things change, so don't take my word thats the same for next year. Benefit is you can now work full time and study full time (though I do not advise this at level 3).

Quick Reply

Latest