The Student Room Group

Imperial Maths Undergrad : What about Personal Statement ?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering about the importance of the personal statement when applying to imperial for the maths course. I know that for some universities, it is really something that can give an advantage but isn't that much considered. Also, what experience can be great to do in order to have quite a good personal statement ? Because i cannot find a lot of stuffs about that. I read some books of course and give some lessons to younger people about maths but what else can i do, and it is really important to do more?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by kirickouilles
Hey everyone,

I was wondering about the importance of the personal statement when applying to imperial for the maths course. I know that for some universities, it is really something that can give an advantage but isn't that much considered. Also, what experience can be great to do in order to have quite a good personal statement ? Because i cannot find a lot of stuffs about that. I read some books of course and give some lessons to younger people about maths but what else can i do, and it is really important to do more?
Thank you :smile:

Not really, just shove some crap together about some extra-curricular maths, extra-reading, one teensy bit about something non-maths related, you teaching maths, a bit about any results you're particularly proud of, any maths competition you've done, your motivation for studying maths, etc...

It doesn't really matter - I cobbled mine together in about two hours and threw it into UCAS and got an offer.
Maths competitions worth doing them ? I cannot find any near my home and i really dont want to travel in order to do one.
Reply 3
Original post by kirickouilles
Maths competitions worth doing them ? I cannot find any near my home and i really dont want to travel in order to do one.

Certainly not, I haven't done any.
The PS is very much part of your application package so make sure it's the best it can be. You want to show an academic interest in the subject, explain what specifically interests you and why and show off your knowledge. Course structures will give you an idea of what will be taught so read and write about those topics. Extra curriculars aren't as important unless relevant. Focus on relevant transferable skills instead.
Plus, even if Imperial don't read the PS (which I'm sure they do, I'm just thinking of an extreme example), you still have to apply for other courses (who may well feel that the PS is the most important part of the application - again, an extreme example), and what if Imperial reject you?
Original post by Zacken
Certainly not, I haven't done any.

Which university do you study in.
Reply 7
Original post by STRANGER2
Which university do you study in.

Haven't gone to uni yet, but I've got an offer for Maths at Cambz.
Original post by Zacken
Haven't gone to uni yet, but I've got an offer for Maths at Cambz.

What things would you need to get an offer from Cambridge in your opinion
Reply 9
What things would you need to get an offer from Cambridge in your opinion

Be good at maths/[subject].
Original post by Zacken
Be good at maths/[subject].

But how important are stuff like interviews, extra-curricular..

If by extra curricular you mean more maths then yeah, interview asses teachability etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Interview is extremely important. Extra-curricular is irrelevant if you mean stuff like sports, music, whatever, but they like you to have read around your subject and be able to demonstrate lots of interest in it
Reply 13

Extra curricular is useless. Super curricular is good, but I addressed that in "be good at the subject you're applying for". Interviews are important as well, but again, comes down to being good at the subject you're applying for.
By extra curricular I meant activities related to maths, projects and summer schools all related to math. If u don't hav those stuff does it mean no offer
Reply 15
By extra curricular I meant activities related to maths, projects and summer schools all related to math. If u don't hav those stuff does it mean no offer

Nah it doesn't. All you have to do is maybe read some books, look up some interesting/non A-level maths on the internet, take part in UKMT SMC perhaps (of course it is much more noteworthy if you get to and do well in BMO1). To be honest if your PS is a load of balls but you're awesome at interview they probably won't care too much (interview is often more about testing your maths skills under pressure than like job interview style "why do you want to study maths?" stuff, not to say that you won't get the latter).
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Nah it doesn't. All you have to do is maybe read some books, look up some interesting/non A-level maths on the internet, take part in UKMT SMC perhaps (of course it is much more noteworthy if you get to and do well in BMO1). To be honest if your PS is a load of balls but you're awesome at interview they probably won't care too much (interview is often more about testing your maths skills under pressure than like job interview style "why do you want to study maths?" stuff, not to say that you won't get the latter).

What kind of maths questions will they ask you and how many questions
Reply 17
What kind of maths questions will they ask you and how many questions

Maths questions and no specific number of questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending