The Student Room Group

Is UNIVERSITY necessary for my career goal?

Hello

My career goal is to help developing countries with their economy and get more richer. Is getting a degree vital for this? Are there any alernative pathways? If not what degrees would help?
That's not a career, that's charity.
TBH (I am assuming by the career you talked about that you mean economic consultancy) that in this field if you want anyone to take you seriously and to beat competition to get this kind of job that yes will need a degree in some economic and buisness field. However you could do a student leavers program (with a big company in the UK and sometimes in other countries as well) instead of university and still get a degree in economics and/ or buisness, but generally you have to take the one that fits in with their course and their view of you later in their company. (but that doesn't mean you are bound to them forever, you can quit just like any other job).
In terms of the specific degree, I have absolutely no idea how to help you.
Reply 3
Original post by Frankie97
TBH (I am assuming by the career you talked about that you mean economic consultancy) that in this field if you want anyone to take you seriously and to beat competition to get this kind of job that yes will need a degree in some economic and buisness field. However you could do a student leavers program (with a big company in the UK and sometimes in other countries as well) instead of university and still get a degree in economics and/ or buisness, but generally you have to take the one that fits in with their course and their view of you later in their company. (but that doesn't mean you are bound to them forever, you can quit just like any other job).
In terms of the specific degree, I have absolutely no idea how to help you.

Thank you. Could you enlighten me on student leavers programme
As noble as it is, its a pretty vague career - you need to narrow it down from "make them richer". But if you're looking to become an economists (on the public sector/government) you may need doctorate level qualifications afaik... but if its on the business side, that's not a necessity if you go to the right schemes

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by johnboy123
Thank you. Could you enlighten me on student leavers programme

Hi here's a link to a website that has quite a list but I have found some on big company websites (when you type them into Google with "student leaver programs")
http://www.studentladder.co.uk/School-Leaver-Programmes/school-leaver-programmes.html
Hope it helps and good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending