The Student Room Group

MDMA soon to be prescribed in the US - why are we so far behind?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roofas
Don't pretend as though you care one slither of a nanosecond for people suffering from PTSD. Those who want these sorts of drugs legalised want so for their own selfish reasons, in this case so that you can feign illness and receive the drugs too.

Excuse me? I've tried MDMA once, several years ago, and wasn't particularly impressed. There are other drugs that I do enjoy or take regularly, and frankly the law doesn't bother me either way - I'll take drugs regardless (although, so will most people, hence why our drug laws don't work). So this doesn't affect me.

I truly have no time for anyone so pathetic that they can't just get up and enjoy life, let alone just get on with it without using and coming to rely on drugs.

Wow. So much unnecessary contempt. You seem like an angry person.

"Caffeine is a drug too!" You screech, your eyes scarlet and wildly dilated, with a dirty fingernail pointing in accusation far to my left "And what about prescribed medicine from doctors? I bet you can hardly get out of bed without those Setraline tablets you have every morning!"

'Drugs' like caffeine and those prescribed by doctors of course are fine to have. They've gone through lengthy testing processes and have been proven to be more or less harmless. The solution isn't to just blindly legalise all substances and then wait and see what the biggest killer is. According to 'FRANK', 670 people in England and Wales have died because of MDMA in the last 20 years or so. I don't think they'd continue to sell Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Cereal if it had killed that many people.

Jesus christ. Do you know how many people have died of alcohol in the last 20 years? Of course you don't. Neither do I, but I know that about 6000 people die per ****ing year. Smoking (tobacco) is involved in 100,000 deaths per year. Your ignorance is horrifying.

Drugs prescribed by doctors are harmless? You do realize that doctors prescribe amphetamines, opiates and various other drugs, don't you?

The amount of nonsense reports that cannabis helps illnesses such as multiple sclerosis and cancer are all BS too. Setting fire to leaves and breathing in the throat cilia-destroying smoke doesn't stop cancer cells dividing or restore scarred brain tissue.

Ah, another uneducated tool who somehow knows more about drugs than people with PhDs who study them for a living.

The amount of middle class kids who are so up their own arses and "whose' lives are just so stressful" who turn to drugs is just pathetic really. Did Mummy refuse to pay your car insurance this year and now you can't afford to go to some filthy Spanish resort for a sleazy weekend in the Summer?

Get some perspective and focus on some real problems. I don't know why 'people' have seemed to developed some insane belief that they can have and do whatever they want so long as they've decided that it's good for them. The level of entitlement is unparalleled in any society or culture of history. It's just decadence for the sake of it that has been allowed because of a decline in legitimate cultural and societal direction and authority.

I've given you facts, and you've given me an angry rant about "kids these days". Typical.
Reply 21
Original post by JordanL_

Jesus christ. Do you know how many people have died of alcohol in the last 20 years? Of course you don't. Neither do I, but I know that about 6000 people die per ****ing year. Smoking (tobacco) is involved in 100,000 deaths per year. Your ignorance is horrifying.

This is the only bit worth me responding to:

I really didn't think anyone would bring up smoking or drinking in relation to this argument. It's embarrassing that you have really, and you come across as a bit hysterical, as the situations are in no way comparable.

Drinking is in the very essence of human culture from time immoral. There will never come a time where people don't drink because there has never been a time where people didn't drink, except in during the prohibition era of the USA obviously. The fact that 'prohibition didn't work' in the USA in regards to alcohol has no impact what so ever in regards to today's discussion on comparatively recent drugs, and it certainly doesn't mean that 'prohibition' wouldn't work in these situations.

Smoking is essentially a similar argument, people have been smoking one way or another for hundreds of years, it's 'part of our culture' in its way. But I have always thought that the Government should have banned smoking for anyone born after the year 2000 or something. Then smoking would eventually become obsolete. No hypocrisy or ignorance here on my part, smoking is bad too.

Everything else you've typed is just absurd accusations of malice or semantic drivel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Roofas
This is the only bit worth me responding to:

I really didn't think anyone would bring up smoking or drinking in relation to this argument. It's embarrassing that you have really, and you come across as a bit hysterical, as the situations are in no way comparable.

Drinking is in the very essence of human culture from time immoral. There will never come a time where people don't drink because there has never been a time where people didn't drink, except in during the prohibition era of the USA obviously. The fact that 'prohibition didn't work' in the USA in regards to alcohol has no impact what so ever in regards to today's discussion on comparatively recent drugs, and it certainly doesn't mean that 'prohibition' would work in these situations.

Smoking is essentially a similar argument, people have been smoking one way or another for hundreds of years, it's 'part of our culture' in its way. But I have always thought that the Government should have banned smoking for anyone born after the year 2000 or something. Then smoking would eventually become obsolete. No hypocrisy or ignorance here on my part, smoking is bad too.

Everything else you've typed is just absurd accusations of malice or semantic drivel.

"Things that kill 100,000 people per year are justified because we've always done it, but things that kill 670 people in 20 years should be illegal........ just because"

Are you serious? You haven't even given a reason for why you think MDMA should be illegal, just ramblings about how people are "pathetic" and "entitled".

As for prohibition, we already know it doesn't work for drugs. That's a fact, as determined by various medical experts over the years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
"Things that kill 100,000 people per year are justified because we've always done it, but things that kill 670 people in 20 years should be illegal........ just because"

Are you serious? You haven't even given a reason for why you think MDMA should be illegal, just ramblings about how people are "pathetic" and "entitled".

As for prohibition, we already know it doesn't work for drugs. That's a fact, as determined by various medical experts over the years.

I made it quite clear why MDMA should be illegal. Because it's killed people and it hasn't been deemed safe by British experts. Who cares what happens in America? You can have all sorts of freakish medical procedures over there. Hardly the bastion of medical soundness.

Everyone knows smoking is bad. Everyone knows drinking is bad. The legalisation of new drugs like MDMA in any context just gives people at large the notion that said drug is 'safe' and that they can self-medicate and trust their own perceptions. It seems in every BBC article about a teenager/young person who's died from even legal highs that a parent says "Oh if he knew it wasn't safe he wouldn't have taken it", "if it had been illegal he would have taken it".

Please stop talking about facts btw, you haven't provided any.
Original post by Roofas
I made it quite clear why MDMA should be illegal. Because it's killed people and it hasn't been deemed safe by British experts. Who cares what happens in America? You can have all sorts of freakish medical procedures over there. Hardly the bastion of medical soundness.

670 people in 20 years was the figure you gave. It's killed an absolutely tiny amount of people.

Hardly the bastion of medical soundness? What are you on about? Do you seriously believe British science is the only valid science?

Everyone
knows smoking is bad. Everyone knows drinking is bad. The legalisation of new drugs like MDMA in any context just gives people at large the notion that said drug is 'safe' and that they can self-medicate and trust their own perceptions.

Then how does everyone know smoking and drinking are bad?

Oh, of course! Because it has absolutely nothing to do with being illegal, it's about education.

It seems in every BBC article about a teenager/young person who's died from even legal highs that a parent says "Oh if he knew it wasn't safe he wouldn't have taken it", "if it had been illegal he would have taken it".

**** science, we should base all of our policy on the laments of grieving parents. They obviously know best.

Please stop talking about facts btw, you haven't provided any.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/24/medical-experts-call-for-global-drug-decriminalisation

I could find all sorts of other evidence but I won't bother, because you're one of those people who will dismiss all the science in the world because you just know better than everyone.
Reply 25
[QUOTE="JordanL_;64045543"]670 people in 20 years was the figure you gave. It's killed an absolutely tiny amount of people.

Hardly the bastion of medical soundness? What are you on about? Do you seriously believe British science is the only valid science?

Then how does everyone know smoking and drinking are bad?

Oh, of course! Because it has absolutely nothing to do with being illegal, it's about education.

**** science, we should base all of our policy on the laments of grieving parents. They obviously know best.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/24/medical-experts-call-for-global-drug-decriminalisation

I could find all sorts of other evidence but I won't bother, because you're one of those people who will dismiss all the science in the world because you just know better than everyone.

I've said everything I want to say really, you're clearly a bit too emotional right now. If you're unwilling to accept and consider other points of view then I don't think you should make threads like this at all :rolleyes:
Original post by Roofas
I've said everything I want to say really, you're clearly a bit too emotional right now. If you're unwilling to accept and consider other points of view then I don't think you should make threads like this at all :rolleyes:

But I have considered your point of view, and chosen to accept the evidence instead. You've just refused to respond to any points I've made.
The rest of the world is starting to take a more liberal (and evidence-based) stance on drugs, and seeing huge benefits and reduced drug use. Meanwhile the UK is very literally attempting to criminalize everything.

PTSD is a condition suffered by abuse victims, soldiers, and many others. It's a chronic condition that ruins lives, and there are very few treatments for it. MDMA has unrivalled potential in treating PTSD, in combination with therapy. The US FDA is moving towards approving it for medical use.

This should have happened decades ago, but our drug laws are a HUGE barrier to research. People have been suffering with PTSD with no effective treatment for all this time, while we've had one (quite literally for some people) under our noses.

What justification is there for these draconian drug laws? Soldiers are coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq with crippling mental health problems, we have a drug to treat it, but we tell them "nah **** off mate, drugs are bad".

THESE LAWS DON'T EVEN STOP PEOPLE USING DRUGS RECREATIONALLY. I can't fathom how anyone can possibly support them when they prevent people using drugs medicinally. Are people really so utterly, disgustingly deluded and wrapped up in their own ****ing propaganda that we're denying people with chronic illnesses the help that they need? It's absolutely barbaric.

Oh, and let's not forget, if these people dare try to treat their PTSD themselves, we arrest them AND THROW THEM IN ****ING PRISON.

I take it North Korea's legalised it then?! :teehee: :rofl:
MDMA ****s temperature regulation badly.

I will say, it makes me the person I used to be before a traumatic event happened to me... It makes me that person again and then some.

But the temperature issue is very bad. I'll be in a boiling hot club shivering wanting to put on a coat, even though my head feels like a radiator to the touch, and this is from a low dose. It's kind of dangerous. And I lab test drugs, I legit send them to professional labs for testing before using, so don't say it's not MDMA or that it's adulterated.

I can see why you would all love it, it's certainly the greatest thing I ever used when I was in Ibiza and paired with alcohol (which prevents the overheating issue through some mechanism). But it is indeed dangerous. And then you start drinking water to try and combat the temperature issue... But then you start worrying you're drinking too much water. You feel ill but don't know whether it's from overconsumption of water or overheating. So do you drink more water or do you drink no more water? You don't know wtf to do or why you're ill, you just are.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest