Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Studying/Working in Canada

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hey guys,

    As the title suggests, my question is related to both studying and working in Canada, namely Ottawa.

    I recently applied to Carleton University in Ottawa for a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering, but just received news that I have not been accepted (I applied after the deadline, and although they were still taking applications in, it was only if they had places remaining, as well as academic merit).

    I haven't given up about making my way to Canada yet though. I am researching alternative options. I hear University of Ottawa has slightly lower entrance standards compared to Carleton, so this is my next step. Could anyone suggest any other alternative Universities worth looking into? I aim to apply for the January term, as I am sure its too late to start in September now.

    Another option I have been brainstorming is to work there. I have researched enough to know that I can't call myself an Engineer there until I obtain my Professional License. However, I could work as a Engineer in Training (EIT)?

    Would my 3 year Bachelor's Degree be sufficient in order to do this? Although I know that British Degrees are usually recognised in Canada, how well do they fare for work admission? Is the 3 years equivalent to Canada's 4 years?

    I know its a lot of questions, I hope they can be answered.

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.