The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Law: Aberdeen or Strathclyde?

I have received unconditional offers from both but can't decide which one to go to. I liked Aberdeen Uni but didn't like the city, also as I am from central Scotland it would be easier for me to see my family & friends if I went to Strathclyde. Opinions??
Reply 1
Original post by blackberrybucket
I have received unconditional offers from both but can't decide which one to go to. I liked Aberdeen Uni but didn't like the city, also as I am from central Scotland it would be easier for me to see my family & friends if I went to Strathclyde. Opinions??

I have been told that Aberdeen is the best for Law, but Strathclyde is better if you want to do something like Engineering. I actually prefer Aberdeen as a place rather than Glasgow. Aberdeen isn't really too far away…
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
what grades did you get?
Original post by lucy713
what grades did you get?

AAABB in my highers
I would go to Strathclyde as you are closer to friends and family and the uni has a really good law school.

Also, you have the opportunity to undertake a joint scot and english law degree which is really useful as you can practice anywhere in the UK.

Lastly, strathclyde have ana amazing law clinic whereby you can practice the skills you are taught in class
Original post by jameswilliam100
Currently studying at Strathclyde , we have the Law Review, the Law Clinic (biggest and best in Scotland) and something else that that ive forgotten which makes it unique in the UK. The Law school is prestigious and accomplished , the academics are world class.. Professor Norrie , Aileen and chris to mention a few who are accalimed academics in their field - all of whom you will meet in your first year classes. Cant speak for Glasgow but the standard is extremely high at Strath. For example , Public law's average grade is a fail with 60% of students failing to achieve >40%. If you want a challenging and amazing experience I highy suggest Strathclyde.

To say Aberdeen's law school competes with GU , strath or edin is a mockery. Do not go to Aberdeen , if you want a good school , those 3 are your options.

I wouldn't dream of challenging your verdict on Strath but as far as your ridiculous comments about Aberdeen - well, they are exactly that, utterly ridiculous.
Original post by DougallnDougall
I wouldn't dream of challenging your verdict on Strath but as far as your ridiculous comments about Aberdeen - well, they are exactly that, utterly ridiculous.

Just read articles reviewing Aberdeen , I will happily retract my statement. Aberdeen is in fact a great law school. My Apologies.

Actually achieved higher ranking than Strath last year.
Original post by jameswilliam100
Just read articles reviewing Aberdeen , I will happily retract my statement. Aberdeen is in fact a great law school. My Apologies.

Actually achieved higher ranking than Strath last year.

That's true but to be fair to Strath it has great ranking for research.
I also have offers for LLB at Strathclyde, Dundee and Aberdeen. I would rather be in Glasgow, but just read some employment stats and Aberdeen has far better employment prospects .....
Strathclyde has now fallen to 24th place on the Complete guide ranking (2018) whereas Aberdeen has now risen 3 places into 9th place ( Top 10). And for this year, beats Glasgow partly thanks to higher student satisfaction scores and a whoppingly high graduate prospect score.

I would say Aberdeen for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending