The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield or Hull York

I can't decide between these two for medicine. I'm an international student btw. I'd choose York if I went to HYMS (as I have the option since I'm international).
Biggest problem for me is idk if I'd prefer PBL or more traditional style of teaching. HOW ARE YOU MEANT TO KNOW?
But I feel more top unis are traditional or integrated.

Sheffield pros and cons:

City- more diverse, access to many things, but also busy, smelly- although Sheffield has many open spaces alongside it's city
Russel group
Mostly lectures
Massive year group (230+)- good or bad?
More societies
Older med school- history and reputation e.g. Nobel Prize Winners

HYMS pros and cons:

PBL
Small teaching group- only 70 at each uni per year
Campus vibe/community
York was very scenic/beautiful
Small city- may be boring potentially, but safe
You have to move between 5 cities from years 3 and onwards for clinical placements
Fairly new med school- good and bad?
Sheffield med school doesn't have that many lectures, in 2nd year you only have a handful and there's none whatsoever in 3rd year and beyond. The massive year group doesn't seem like much of a problem, everyone seems to know everybody else and like you said it does mean there's a lot more societies that cater for medics. Russell Group and the age of the med school don't really matter unless you plan is to practice outside of the UK (maybe even EU?). It's a city campus university so you get the best of both worlds, there's definitely a very strong community feel here. There is the potential that you will need to stay in places like Doncaster or Barnsley (or further) during placements at Sheffield, however from what I've heard it's doable to commute from Sheffield although if you want to do so it would be advisable to get a car or live near the train station.

Sheffield is very safe as long as you know where you're going, in the 3 years I can think of maybe two incidents that have happened in the better areas (as a UoS student you'll have no problem staying in those places). As a city it's not that busy, and it only gets particularly bad on the trams and in the city centre during big events, both things which are fairly avoidable as a student, except when Ice Hockey Varsity is going on.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest