The Student Room Group

Computer Sci vs Economics

I don't mind which degree I study however I would like to know which has better prospects for Investment banking.
Original post by Acrux
I don't mind which degree I study however I would like to know which has better prospects for Investment banking.

Both equally well-regarded as subjects, makes no difference.

Most people interested in investment banking prefer Economics. However, I'd be tempted to do Computer Science as you'd have more transferable skills outside of banking - and it'd at least make you seem a bit different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, those are two very different careers!

I would personally choose Computer Science, as there is a lot going for it. But at the same time, economics will net you a great deal if you hit the sweet spot.
economics > everything

jk, do what you love
Original post by gr8wizard10
economics > everything

jk, do what you love

Pretty much this
Reply 5
Original post by abrack
Well, those are two very different careers!

I would personally choose Computer Science, as there is a lot going for it. But at the same time, economics will net you a great deal if you hit the sweet spot.

Same I feel as though Comp Sci has better fall back options also the majority of Universities requirement for BSc Economics degree is evidently higher
Reply 6
Maths > all
Original post by Foxab77
Maths > all

Computer Science is effectively maths.
Reply 8
Original post by gr8wizard10
economics > everything

jk, do what you love

I guess if there is no actual difference then it primarily depends on this for me.
Original post by Acrux
Same I feel as though Comp Sci has better fall back options also the majority of Universities requirement for BSc Economics degree is evidently higher

Indeed. There is also a lot and I mean a LOT of careers in computer science right now, and the market is only expanding!
Original post by Foxab77
Maths > all

Lol but you don't even do a straight maths degree
Original post by Acrux

Requirements for courses at university are often a reflection of the popularity of the course - more popular courses have higher requirements - rather than being a reflection of the absolute difficulty of the subject. Do not assume Economics is harder than Computer Science because of higher entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Makes no difference whatsoever for IB.

I'd echo whoever said CS opens up more doors in case you strike out with finance or just find yourself disinterested with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Lol but you don't even do a straight maths degree

Doesn't strike out my 1 in STEP mate. Was originally on pure maths course at warwick. Changed to a more mathematical stats course because its more in line with my career progression. :wink: quants ftw
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending