The Student Room Group

Student Financing!

I am due to start an Access course this summer with the hope of going to University the next summer. I am looking to attend the University of Sussex and living in Brighton.
I am 21, will be 22 when I start Uni and I have been working full time for the past 3 years but will be going down to part time in the summer and then only working non-term times once I start Uni. I looked at the student financing and it asks for me to put in my parents income and my own as this past tax year is the one they will look at when I start Uni but I've been working full time this past year but when I go to Uni I won't have that income anymore. Because of this, my maintainance loan will be small, no where near enough to live off of in Brighton. Is there anything I can do?
Students on Access Courses aren't entitled to a loan from student finance, I'm afraid. :frown:
Original post by Tiger Rag
Students on Access Courses aren't entitled to a loan from student finance, I'm afraid. :frown:

I know, sorry, I probably wasn't clear with my rambling 😛
I'm just kind of planning ahead for when I start Uni so I can get things ready early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You might be able to be considered an independent student based on your income. I think you need to have earned over a certain amount for 3 consecutive years (I've seen over £7,500 a year) but I don't know if it needs to be the previous three years.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag

There is a 24+ loan available to access students through student finance up to £3000
Original post by KMLeeson
I am due to start an Access course this summer with the hope of going to University the next summer. I am looking to attend the University of Sussex and living in Brighton.
I am 21, will be 22 when I start Uni and I have been working full time for the past 3 years but will be going down to part time in the summer and then only working non-term times once I start Uni. I looked at the student financing and it asks for me to put in my parents income and my own as this past tax year is the one they will look at when I start Uni but I've been working full time this past year but when I go to Uni I won't have that income anymore. Because of this, my maintainance loan will be small, no where near enough to live off of in Brighton. Is there anything I can do?

I worked for over a year before I started my Access course and when I applied to student finance for uni (recently) they only asked me for my National Insurance no. as I think otherwise I put that I was in full time education and hence not earning money? I haven't seen how my student finance has been affected yet as I haven't got it back, but don't think my (old) income would come into account.
I can see why it's a confusing thing though, but if i'm honest I wouldn't worry too much until you start getting Uni offers/interviews next year.
Reply 6
Original post by KMLeeson

If you go when you are 25 you will be classed as independent and get the full amount. Your parents income will not be considered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending