The Student Room Group

Goldman Sachs is it the Pinnacle?

Is Goldman Sachs the pinnacle of Investment banking?
Original post by Acrux

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Acrux

Yeah, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan are the best for prestige. This doesn't mean they're the best banks to work for, necessarily. Honestly, I'd be happy with any bank (preferably an American one) that will give me an offer. Most people don't really have the luxury of choosing.
Original post by Acrux

If you enjoy the concept of having the bottom 5% of performers being culled yearly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I am not sure what Marcus Goldman would have to say about this
Serious answer, Goldman is not the best for every aspect of investment banking. In fixed income trading they are quite sub par, for instance. Also, some firms are heads and shoulders above Goldman in the restructuring space (namely Houlihan, Greenhill, Evercore etc).

As mentioned above GS has a policy of culling the bottom 5-10% of their cohort every year. Pay-wise, they're not usually top of the street bevause of the 'Goldman premium' which is a BS excuse for paying less than other firms because of the prestige associated with the GS name.

So no, it's not 'the pinnacle' by any stretch of the phrase. JPM, MS, BAML, the elite boutiques continually give it a run for its money. Large balance sheet banks regularly outpace them in capital intensive markets (Citi, JPM etc) too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
JPM is where it's at these days.
Reply 8
JPM, BAML and Citi have acquired a dominant status because they operate very successfully on commercial banking as well; GS works solely on IB/IM which is a reason why they are a step ahead of the others on that list (together with MS, although the GS name is more known).
gs is the poster child of wall street

Quick Reply

Latest