Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Tips for living at home while at uni?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

My parents have been pretty adamant on me living at home for my first year of uni. I'm hoping to go to Glasgow and I live about half an hour away so the journey isn't so bad. I don't mind so much because I'll be saving money and my family life is a little disjointed right now. My mum and dad are still married but my dad is working in Newcastle so he isn't here during the week. I sometimes the ink their marriage is going through a bit of a rough time right now. He's pretty distant when he's at home anyway. My mum is on her own with me and my younger brother and I think she is struggling with the change. We live in an area that's a hotspot for crime and we were burgled three times in 2015 alone. The worst of which took place in the dead of night when we were upstairs asleep and thieves made off with our car after taking the keys from our kitchen.

My mum is understandably shaken up and she sometimes wakes up late at night after hearing a noise and gets me to go downstairs and check that everything is okay (she's pretty slim and is only 5ft tall. Im the same height but I'm quite muscled and well built and took martial arts for years along with self defence courses). I don't blame them at all for wanting me to stay home given the circumstances and if I was to move out now I'd honestly feel guilty about leaving them while they need as much support as they can get. They've not been too harsh and are letting me move out in my second year of uni but until then how can I ensure I still have a social life? I've always been an extraverted and social person and my birthday falls on August 31st. Perfect timing for freshers! I want to go out and meet new people but how can I do this if I live away? Any tips for biding my time and not climbing the walls with boredom until I can move out?

Screw them, move out for the all the years

You move out, that's how you deal with it.

yeah get out now you got to start being you if that m,akes sence

I stayed at home during my first year as well (I study at Glasgow too !)

I lived 20 mins away by car so the distance wasnt too bad to manage.

In terms of a social life, that was the one thing that I had to adjust to as sometimes after lectures everyone would quickly nip back to halls and then meet up again at the Union, but for me to do that would be much more time consuming and it would take me longer to go home and then come back in.

For nights out, if you make friends with people in halls then they are always good at letting you sleep on their couch but obviously it is not the best.

Tbh I would advise moving out for first year, as moving out in second year will be tougher as the students in halls will all get flats together and then you are left trying to find people who need an extra roomate.

I lived at home, but then i didnt go out as much during first year, but it sounds like you would want to so halls is a much better living environment.

Hope this helps !
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.