The Student Room Group

Travelling to LA alone

Hey guy. I'm planning a holiday to Los Angeles in September after my 25th birthday. Just want to get other people's experiences. Anyone got any advice, tips? I'm really looking forward to it, was just planning on going alone, without a plan and winging it. I looked at one of those tours for singles but it seemed like a lot of money for a restricted holiday.

Where should I visit?
Any fun things that someone can do alone?
anything or anywhere I should avoid?
are Americans as friendly as people say and I won't be sitting alone for 2 weeks? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I'm going on a tour there in August, I'll be on my own, but I've booked to go to the Universal studio tour. Going to try and see as many sights as possible.
Reply 2
Wow. Wish I was brave as you. I'm wanting to travel there this year but no one to go with. Wanna experience the beautiful city with another.

Hope you have a fab time. 👍🏿
Reply 3
Original post by DW1994
I'm going on a tour there in August, I'll be on my own, but I've booked to go to the Universal studio tour. Going to try and see as many sights as possible.

Eh maybe, I don't spend my whole time at tourist places, waiting in long lines, paying extra for stuff and being around other Europeans. I wanna hit a few bars I guess, talk to some locals, go on an adventure. Seeing some historical landmarks, like the Hollywood Sign will be on my list, but not priority if something better comes along;

Original post by ShubKaii
Wow. Wish I was brave as you. I'm wanting to travel there this year but no one to go with. Wanna experience the beautiful city with another.

Hope you have a fab time. 👍🏿

You always regret the stuff you don't do.
Reply 4
Original post by Gjaykay
Eh maybe, I don't spend my whole time at tourist places, waiting in long lines, paying extra for stuff and being around other Europeans. I wanna hit a few bars I guess, talk to some locals, go on an adventure. Seeing some historical landmarks, like the Hollywood Sign will be on my list, but not priority if something better comes along;

You always regret the stuff you don't do.

I am trying to be more of a risk taker haha. Is it good for a muslim girl who wears the hijab to travel there alone? will it be difficult for me to associate... Im afraid of this situation, and ofcourse being a ggirl and getting murdered or something.
Reply 5
Original post by ShubKaii
I am trying to be more of a risk taker haha. Is it good for a muslim girl who wears the hijab to travel there alone? will it be difficult for me to associate... Im afraid of this situation, and ofcourse being a ggirl and getting murdered or something.

I've not been yet, but you wont get murdered.
People'll tell you going somewhere alone as a girl is dangerous, but crossing the street is dangerous. It's up to you how you wanna live your life. As long as your friendly and confident I don't see why people wouldn't talk too you.
That being said, I'm gonna go and try strike up conversations and try not to look like a weirdo, I guess ><
Reply 6
I went to Hong Kong for three days and then onto New Zealand on my own. It's not as scary as you think, it's rather fun to be honest. The independence and freedom you feel once you leave.

Little background: It was my first time flying, going to a different country(that includes not visiting Wales or Scotland) and traveling alone.

I left for that trip in August 2015, I am still on that said trip.

:smile:

I also go to LA in August 2015 for my flight home and spend three days there.
Reply 7
Avoid South LA at night except for major roads and highways. Also avoid the skid row area at night and pico-Union. Every tourist place is very safe apart from pickpockets like every city in the world. It's not as dangerous as you think- it's only the obvious gang areas that are are a no-go, everything else is very safe.
Reply 8
Activities

Hike up Runyon Canyon or Griffith Park (Great views over LA)

Rent a bike and cycle around Santa Monica/Venice beach/Marina del Rey

Go to a concert! Check songkick.com for listings

Drive up Pacific Coast Highway, stopping at a few beaches on the way

Places

Getty Center

Griffith Observatory

LACMA

Stahl House

California Space Center

Universal Studios (tourist trap, yes...but fun!)

Shopping

The Grove

Melrose Avenue

Third Street Promenade

If you're keen on meeting some locals why not check out meetup.com? There are a number of fun/educational activities on there that might be of interest to you.

Also, are you planning on hiring a car? Getting around on public transport isn't fun.

Quick Reply

Latest