Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

BA Social Work after Master's

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hello everyone,

    I am currently working on my thesis for my M.Sc in Criminology (from an overseas university).
    I have recently relocated to Scotland, where I'm planning to stay permanently.

    Since moving here, I have come to realise that Criminology is not as highly regarded here in the UK as it is in Belgium, where I originally studied. Most of the jobs I'd like to do, are done by social workers here.

    Hence, I have started to look into Social work degrees. Since I'm working full-time and do need the money, I can not afford to leave my current job and go back to a campus based course, so I have started to look into distance learning degrees. The Open University offers a BA in Social work that is accredited here in Scotland, but I just wonder if it would look bad going from a M.Sc to BA?
    Especially considering that there are postgraduate courses that I could enroll in, if I had the money to leave my current job.

    I am mostly interested in working in the criminal justice field with juvenile offenders, or working with at-risk groups or families.

    I would be really grateful if anyone could offer some advice.

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.