The Student Room Group

Animation Essentials

I am going to be studying BA (Hons) Animation this coming September and wondered if any animation students have any tips on essentials to get before starting university.
Any info would be really helpful!
Reply 1
Are you studying digital animation or traditional animation? If digital a fast computer with at least 16GB RAM, an i7 processor, a large hard drive with an equal sized portable USB hard drive as a backup device and a WACOM pen and tablet would be a good start. For traditional animation make sure you've got art materials to draw / paint / sculpt with.
Original post by Iz1995
I am going to be studying BA (Hons) Animation this coming September and wondered if any animation students have any tips on essentials to get before starting university.
Any info would be really helpful!

Hi Iz,

I'm currently an animation student at Ravensbourne :smile:
In terms of tips and preparation can be good to go through a checklist of things you need depending on which type of animation you going for as moid just suggested.

It will be helpful for you to breakdown what the course is and may require. A strong laptop is advised for digital and also a external hard drive of equivalent size, a tablet is needed (I also recommend wacom) and also a good working mouse. You'll find yourself working much easier in 3D with a mouse. In terms of traditional it will be the materials unless your course provides them. For example light boxes, or sculpting clay.

I also advise you to have a sketchbook regardless of what type of animation you are doing. Although I focus more into digital animation, I find they are a nicer form of recording ideas in a way where teachers or peers could look over your development. Also something you could consider taking in for interviews in the future.

Hope this has helped! :biggrin:
Jay
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply