The Student Room Group

I've only just started revising properly.. Am I screwed?

My first exam is on 4th May and it's the Biology Practical Paper. My next exam is on 16th May (RS Ethics).. I know I'll have to start revising properly but am I now how likely is it that I'll be able to achieve my A grades?
Are you doing A-levels? It would be tough to get an A but I wouldn't say you're screwed. Do you have gaps in your exam timetable?
Reply 2
GCSEs
depends how quickly you can learn things, how much work you've been putting in the rest of the year, how much you understand of the course without work and how efficiently you work from now on.
Past papers are probably the quickest way to find out what you know and what you don't. They're pretty good at pointing out holes in your knowledge/understanding, then you can really focus on working on things you don't understand instead of trying to pin down the entire course in five weeks.
Also the most important thing is to not panic, and pace yourself. The one thing you don't want to do is to work really hard for say, the next two weeks and burn out before you actually get to your exams.
Good luck, and I hoped this helped.
Reply 4
Starting to revise 5 weeks before the exams is never too late, if you revise efficiently and well from now you should do really well. Start PROPER and i MEAN PROPERLY, now before it is too late like i am doing.
Reply 5
Original post by B3ASTy
Starting to revise 5 weeks before the exams is never too late, if you revise efficiently and well from now you should do really well. Start PROPER and i MEAN PROPERLY, now before it is too late like i am doing.

Thanks man, giving me a bit of hope :redface:
I can't promise you all A's but I started revising like 2 weeks before my exams and crammed the night beforehand, got 5 B's, 5 A's, so it's not necessarily a bad thing unless you aren't already confident with everything
Reply 7
I don't need all A's necessarily I just need 6b's as a bare minimum in: History, Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Physics & Biology :frown: (to get into my desired sixth form)
More than enough time to get all A*s.
If your capable.
I revised like 20mins for each exam and did ok.
Original post by Ethan2604
My first exam is on 4th May and it's the Biology Practical Paper. My next exam is on 16th May (RS Ethics).. I know I'll have to start revising properly but am I now how likely is it that I'll be able to achieve my A grades?

Simply do ALL past papers, the questions you get no or some marks for; revise those topics. Then redo those type of questions, keep doing that. When you've learned what you struggle with you will understand it enough to remember and apply.

Don't waste your time reading notes of stuff you know. Its thing you don't know.
Reply 10
Original post by whydoidothis?
More than enough time to get all A*s.
If your capable.
I revised like 20mins for each exam and did ok.

Would you be kind enough as to answer me this :biggrin:: What qualifies as 'ok' aha

Get your head down and revise from now on its still possible
I don't need all A's necessarily I just need 6b's as a bare minimum in: History, Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Physics & Biology :frown: (to get into my desired sixth form)

Do you have any coursework for history, english and your sciences?
Reply 13
Original post by AlteredBoy
Do you have any coursework for history, english and your sciences?

I did a 2000 word controlled assessment essay on ' Why were some people in the USA better off than others in the 1920s? [50]' for history

A mixture of controlled assessments in english lit and lang with a most being predicted A's and B's and a controlled assessment for Physics and Chemistry.
I did a 2000 word controlled assessment essay on ' Why were some people in the USA better off than others in the 1920s? [50]' for history

A mixture of controlled assessments in english lit and lang with a most being predicted A's and B's and a controlled assessment for Physics and Chemistry.

Honestly I'd see if there was any way you could get your CA's to a definite A, if not an A* if you're willing to put the effort into it as although the exam is worth more, they are the deciding point of your grade
not too late at all. revised for 90% of my exams literally night before and got 9a*s and an a (ict coursework lol) - anyway just buy the cgp (massively helpful for gcses) and keep reading it, do past papers as well as it helps you prepare for the types of questions they can ask you should be fine, although it does depend how well you understood it when it was being taught as well as what sort of prep youve done in school + your own ability to cram
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
NOPE so have I just stick to a proper timetable and avoid distractions at all costs
When I did GCSEs I didn't even know past papers were a thing and a got A* and 7As with minimal revision
Would you be kind enough as to answer me this :biggrin:: What qualifies as 'ok' aha

Depends on what you think you are capable of.
I got 5A*5A1C
which was just acceptable for me personally.
IMO as long as you get all As (unless you wanna do medicine or something) you have done ok.

Quick Reply

Latest