The Student Room Group

Revision: Do you write out your own notes?

For Biology I have made 2 mind maps just about Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic Cells.
As well as printed off some TSR resources such as comparisons between the microscopes, and details about cell organelles and stuff.
I've also been reading through the text book, class print-outs, and the CGP revision guide - which summaries everything pretty neatly.

I did make notes a while ago for Unit 1 of Biology which is 'Biological Molecules' (I'm doing the new AQA September 2015 AS Course).
But I fail to see the point to do it for the other 7 units because the revision guide, I feel, is good enough.

What is everybody else doing in terms of revision???
Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds good, hope those resources are helping. Only makes notes if you feel like it is helping you, otherwise just do the past papers.

For History I've been a text book and made notes, then summarised everything on a paper. Now just doing past paper questions.

As for Maths I've only done past paper questions and summary sheets per exam. I use the book every now and then if I need any help.
Original post by undercxver
Sounds good, hope those resources are helping. Only makes notes if you feel like it is helping you, otherwise just do the past papers.

For History I've been a text book and made notes, then summarised everything on a paper. Now just doing past paper questions.

As for Maths I've only done past paper questions and summary sheets per exam. I use the book every now and then if I need any help.

Thank you! :smile:

I just read somewhere, pretty sure it was on TSR, that basically said that "if it's too easy, you're doing it wrong" and I feel like I've been pretty chilled at revision during the past week of half term, so got myself into a bit of a panic wondering if I'd just completely wasted a week!
Original post by maggiedavies
For Biology I have made 2 mind maps just about Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic Cells.
As well as printed off some TSR resources such as comparisons between the microscopes, and details about cell organelles and stuff.
I've also been reading through the text book, class print-outs, and the CGP revision guide - which summaries everything pretty neatly.

I did make notes a while ago for Unit 1 of Biology which is 'Biological Molecules' (I'm doing the new AQA September 2015 AS Course).
But I fail to see the point to do it for the other 7 units because the revision guide, I feel, is good enough.

Thanks!

The point of making your own notes is that you process the information much better rather than just reading the textbook. When I make notes I use my interpretation and my thoughts and write them down in a way that is focused on answering the spec goal.
Thank you! :smile:

I just read somewhere, pretty sure it was on TSR, that basically said that "if it's too easy, you're doing it wrong" and I feel like I've been pretty chilled at revision during the past week of half term, so got myself into a bit of a panic wondering if I'd just completely wasted a week!

Well that really depends. If you can do a past paper and achieve an A with ease then I'm sure you're doing things right.

You just got to check if all the revision methods you're using are actually helping you, everyone works differently. :h:
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
The point of making your own notes is that you process the information much better rather than just reading the textbook. When I make notes I use my interpretation and my thoughts and write them down in a way that is focused on answering the spec goal.

Yeah, I see what you're getting at.

But when I do 'read' the text book, or printed notes, or the revision guide, whichever,
I do make sure that I am understanding what it is saying by closing the book and trying to explain it back to myself (sometimes out loud ... depends who is in the house lmao), and then doing it all again, perhaps later in the day, or in a couple of weeks time just to refresh my memory! :smile:
Original post by undercxver
Well that really depends. If you can do a past paper and achieve an A with ease then I'm sure you're doing things right.

You just got to check if all the revision methods you're using are actually helping you, everyone works differently. :h:

You're right! Thanks so much x
Reply 7

Thanks!

Hii I think writing your own notes is good because your actually processing information so I would write them. I don't do biology I do physics and chemistry but my friends do Biology and they have to memorise so much just like in Chemistry so I recommend you do it.

Although for last minute revision eg) at school on buses etc I just use printed notes have a look on physicsandmathstutor.com there are good notes on there :smile:

Also another tip which I've just recently discovered for note taking is to make them whilst attempting questions so you answer a questions and if you didn't get full marks or there is a better way of writing them just make points on your notes about them and other info etc, Its really useful to remember stuff but yeh I've made most my notes and exams are not far so I'm not doing that atm but I will be in A2 Good Luck :biggrin:
Original post by Cinna21
Hii I think writing your own notes is good because your actually processing information so I would write them. I don't do biology I do physics and chemistry but my friends do Biology and they have to memorise so much just like in Chemistry so I recommend you do it.

Although for last minute revision eg) at school on buses etc I just use printed notes have a look on physicsandmathstutor.com there are good notes on there :smile:

Also another tip which I've just recently discovered for note taking is to make them whilst attempting questions so you answer a questions and if you didn't get full marks or there is a better way of writing them just make points on your notes about them and other info etc, Its really useful to remember stuff but yeh I've made most my notes and exams are not far so I'm not doing that atm but I will be in A2 Good Luck :biggrin:

Thank you so much! And good luck to you as well!

Think I will be writing out some notes tomorrow! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Thank you so much! And good luck to you as well!

Think I will be writing out some notes tomorrow! :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin: I'm actually quite stressed ahaha It's a shame they haven't made more past papers for us to practice on the new spec. Anyway Good luck again :biggrin:
Reply 10
I find writing out points more effective because there is so much to learn in biology! You should write notes with the specification in front of you and summarise so you're not leaning more than you need to. Also look for the previous year's' past paper packs as it will have exam questions and as exam boards are lazy they recycle mark schemes you can have mark scheme answers in your notes which is important as biology is so fussy about wording.
Hope that helps!
Original post by Jehaan
I find writing out points more effective because there is so much to learn in biology! You should write notes with the specification in front of you and summarise so you're not leaning more than you need to. Also look for the previous year's' past paper packs as it will have exam questions and as exam boards are lazy they recycle mark schemes you can have mark scheme answers in your notes which is important as biology is so fussy about wording.
Hope that helps!

Thanks! 'Tis a good idea to have the spec in front of you when making notes - will keep that in mind! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Thanks! 'Tis a good idea to have the spec in front of you when making notes - will keep that in mind! :biggrin:

I just had another thought that when I do biology revision I do it on little record cards. On the title card that I use for filing, I use the back to write questions on parts of the topic that I find difficult and then I consistently test myself on those questions before the exam so I know the hard stuff better than the stuff I find easy in the end!

I've just started making notes for Chem (couple of days ago) and not yet for bio. Should I continue? Or not bother?
Original post by Nettled
I've just started making notes for Chem (couple of days ago) and not yet for bio. Should I continue? Or not bother?

It seems from the answers I have gotten that writing out your own notes seem pretty useful for various reasons! :smile:
Original post by Jehaan
I just had another thought that when I do biology revision I do it on little record cards. On the title card that I use for filing, I use the back to write questions on parts of the topic that I find difficult and then I consistently test myself on those questions before the exam so I know the hard stuff better than the stuff I find easy in the end!

Good idea! Cheers! :smile:
It seems from the answers I have gotten that writing out your own notes seem pretty useful for various reasons! :smile:

I'm just worried as it's so time consuming and I might not have enough time for past papers :/
Original post by Nettled

Wow it's pretty late to have started now. I started in September. Should you continue? The answer to that is whether you want to pass. Give it your all :0
Wow it's pretty late to have started now. I started in September. Should you continue? The answer to that is whether you want to pass. Give it your all :0

*Nods* thanks :smile:

*Whimpers* then there's also history notes to make and geography..
Reply 19
Original post by Nettled
I'm just worried as it's so time consuming and I might not have enough time for past papers :/

If nothing else you could do notes for the topics you find most difficult ie start doing notes for difficult topics and work your way down int terms on difficulty and that way you'd be able save on time but still have time to do past papers. Also since it's the first year of the spec, will you have any past papers to do?

Quick Reply

Latest