The Student Room Group

Disability Allowance/Finance?

Hey TSR. I was wondering if there was a way to assess whether you are eligible for disability allowance or not. In college I did quite a lot of tests and it was found I require blue paper as white on black gives me headaches and makes the words shake and vibrate. I was wondering if this qualifies for disability allowance as I'd need to print my resources in blue (which is more expensive) or whether I would apply for something through university? Any and all help is appreciated!
Original post by Morgierowe
Hey TSR. I was wondering if there was a way to assess whether you are eligible for disability allowance or not. In college I did quite a lot of tests and it was found I require blue paper as white on black gives me headaches and makes the words shake and vibrate. I was wondering if this qualifies for disability allowance as I'd need to print my resources in blue (which is more expensive) or whether I would apply for something through university? Any and all help is appreciated!

You could be eligible for disabled student allowances(a grant from the government that covers adjustments you might need, although mostly it goes straight to suppliers you could get a cash paper allowance on top of other support) do you have an official diagnosis report or something you could use as evidence?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You could be eligible for disabled student allowances(a grant from the government that covers adjustments you might need, although mostly it goes straight to suppliers you could get a cash paper allowance on top of other support) do you have an official diagnosis report or something you could use as evidence?

I believe so. I was given a report type thing last year by the support tutor at college last year that explained my processing speeds, handwriting speeds and that i needed to use blue paper instead of the usual white, although i dont think there was a medical diagnosis (as in from a doctor)
You would be entitled to disabled students allowance. I do believe if the issue with coloured paper is your only problem, (ie, you don't have a learning or physical disability) you don't need an assessment from Student Finance.

You need to send a copy of the report you were given.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending