The Student Room Group

Would any university let me onto a History course if I didn't have a History qual.?

Is there any unis that would let me onto a History course if I don't have a GCSE (failed grade) and no A-Level in the subject, but I had a good grade in another humanities subject?

My teachers were absolutely **** when I did GCSE so I barely learnt anything and we went through about four teachers in the one year, and I doubt my college will let me do AS History if I don't have a GCSE in it. It's not that I don't like history, I love it, but I feel like my chances at doing this at degree level will be forever nonexistent.

Is there any unis that will let me do the subject at BA level when the time comes? My AS choices for Sept are Theology, Politics (hoping to change this to Geography) and Sociology, and I'm currently doing AS English Lit at the minute.
Original post by eoj89
Is there any unis that would let me onto a History course if I don't have a GCSE (failed grade) and no A-Level in the subject, but I had a good grade in another humanities subject?

My teachers were absolutely **** when I did GCSE so I barely learnt anything and we went through about four teachers in the one year, and I doubt my college will let me do AS History if I don't have a GCSE in it. It's not that I don't like history, I love it, but I feel like my chances at doing this at degree level will be forever nonexistent.

Is there any unis that will let me do the subject at BA level when the time comes? My AS choices for Sept are Theology, Politics (hoping to change this to Geography) and Sociology, and I'm currently doing AS English Lit at the minute.

You may be eligible to do a foundation year but that varies between universities.
Original post by eoj89

You will have to look at the requirements of individual universities, but your choice will be restricted.
What about going through clearing?
I got an offer from Leicester for History/American History (joint degree) without an A level in it.
Original post by eoj89

Most of the universities I applied to didn't require history as an A-level, just the entry requirements. My top 2 - Exeter and Lancaster - both don't ask for history and they're in the top 10. It really won't limit you if you don't take it since prior knowledge isn't really necessary and they teach you the essay skills anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending