The Student Room Group

Do I have to redo my A-Levels to apply to uni again?

I finished my A-Levels in 2011, getting an A*, A, A, B. Got into Cambridge but had a nervous breakdown and left in the second year. Now want to apply to uni again at 23 after having been in work for three years, as I feel like I'm going nowhere in life and not pursuing my interests.
I want to apply to Exeter to study French and Italian, or Law and Italian. It says on their website:
It is normally recommended that you should have undertaken some recognised systematic course of study (eg, Access, Open University credits, or GCE A levels) within the last three years.

I haven't. What would be the minimum? Will they not recognise my A-Levels at all, i.e. will I have to redo all four, or can I just redo one somewhere as an external candidate and apply based on that (I suppose if they gave me an offer it would be conditional based on that A-Level)?
Or should I just do some OU credits? I suppose that would be easier, but perhaps more costly... however if I did some Law modules that might help my application if I apply for Law and Italian, considering all my A-Levels are in languages.

Would really appreciate any advice!
Original post by chpnilrem
I finished my A-Levels in 2011, getting an A*, A, A, B. Got into Cambridge but had a nervous breakdown and left in the second year. Now want to apply to uni again at 23 after having been in work for three years, as I feel like I'm going nowhere in life and not pursuing my interests.
I want to apply to Exeter to study French and Italian, or Law and Italian. It says on their website:
It is normally recommended that you should have undertaken some recognised systematic course of study (eg, Access, Open University credits, or GCE A levels) within the last three years.

I haven't. What would be the minimum? Will they not recognise my A-Levels at all, i.e. will I have to redo all four, or can I just redo one somewhere as an external candidate and apply based on that (I suppose if they gave me an offer it would be conditional based on that A-Level)?
Or should I just do some OU credits? I suppose that would be easier, but perhaps more costly... however if I did some Law modules that might help my application if I apply for Law and Italian, considering all my A-Levels are in languages.

Would really appreciate any advice!

Before you apply to anything you need to contact student finance as you've technically used two years so need to be sure you are eligible for complelling personal reasons to cover your living costs and tution first, although i'm pretty sure you will be.
Original post by claireestelle
Before you apply to anything you need to contact student finance as you've technically used two years so need to be sure you are eligible for complelling personal reasons to cover your living costs and tution first, although i'm pretty sure you will be.

Whilst that is true, it doesn't actually answer the OP's question.

OP: email the relevant admission tutor and ask if they'd consider you with your A level grades. If they definitely do require more recent qualifications then you have a few options, see this thread for a rundown of the different qualifications you could do. Presumably you already have an A level in French? If so, I think an Access to HE course is your best option. I would not do OU credits if I were you. Even if you pay for them yourself, they impact how much student finance you can receive in the future.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle

Valid point, actually I've got another thread open about precisely that!
I think I've got enough evidence to provide that I had Compelling Personal Reasons. If not then I suppose I'd have to find some way to fund the first year myself.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
Whilst that is true, it doesn't actually answer the OP's question.

OP: email the relevant admission tutor and ask if they'd consider you with your A level grades. If they definitely do require more recent qualifications then you have a few options, see this thread for a rundown of the different qualifications you could do. Presumably you already have an A level in French? If so, I think an Access to HE course is your best option. I would not do OU credits if I were you. Even if you pay for them yourself, they impact how much student finance you can receive in the future.

Thank you.
I got A* in my French A-level 6 years ago and a B in Italian. My Italian is actually much, much stronger than my French now, and I think I could get an A* / A if I were to redo it.

Is there something to be said for redoing my Italian A-level as an external candidate somewhere in Summer 2017 and maybe Law as well, or do you think Access to HE would be better?

Thanks a lot for replying!
Original post by chpnilrem
Thank you.I got A* in my French A-level 6 years ago and a B in Italian. My Italian is actually much, much stronger than my French now, and I think I could get an A* / A if I were to redo it.Is there something to be said for redoing my Italian A-level as an external candidate somewhere in Summer 2017 and maybe Law as well, or do you think Access to HE would be better?Thanks a lot for replying!

If you've kept up with your Italian, you might as well redo it and aim for an A*. Not sure about law... best to ask the admissions tutor what they think.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
If you've kept up with your Italian, you might as well redo it and aim for an A*. Not sure about law... best to ask the admissions tutor what they think.

I've kept my Italian very polished, to the point where it's by far my strongest foreign language and much better than it was when I was studying it at uni.

As for law, I thought that might be a way to prove to a university that I'm capable of studying something other than languages, otherwise I'm applying with just 4 A-levels in languages.

Quick Reply