The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh VS Glasgow

Recently received unconditionals from both universities but I'm SO torn between the two. Edinburgh ranks higher up worldwide but Glasgow is better for Geography specifically. I love Glasgow's music scene and nightlife but feel as if it would be stupid to decline Edinburgh for that reason. I've been to both applicant days but if anything it's made the decision even harder. Can anyone throw some pros and cons together please??:bawling::bawling:
It really depends what you want to do with your degree. If you plan on going abroad, Edinburgh will probably be seen as more prestigious. But within Scotland Glasgow Uni has quite a good reputation, and as you say Glasgow is one of the best places in the UK for geography according to various league tables and has only been improving in recent years, it beats Edinburgh in that regard.

Tbh both Glasgow and Edinburgh are good unis with good social opportunities and great vibes as cities. Edinburgh is more well-known as an elite university outside of Scotland but Glasgow has plenty going for it. To be honest I think you need to ask yourself 2 questions: how ambitious are you to get a prestigious degree and an impressive graduate job, and which of the two cities can you imagine living in for 4 years of your life? For some people the novelty of living in Edinburgh might wear off after a while. For some people Glasgow might seem a little rough around the edges after a bit. Personally I prefer Glasgow but then I am rather biased.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending