The Student Room Group

Master in economics at UvA

Hello,

I am currently doing a Bachelor in Development Studies at Lund University, Sweden, majoring in Political Science. Having being increasingly interested in economics since the beginning of my programme, I am going to apply to several masters in economics after completion of my bachelor, including at the University of Amsterdam. However, I only have done a few courses in economics,mathematics and statistics, which makes me wonder if I have the adequate profile for an econ master. By the end of my bachelor, I'll have completed the following courses, corresponding to roughly 60 etcs credits (equivalent to one year of full-time studies): introductory microeconomics, introductory macroeconomics, quantitative business and economic analysis (=statistics), a course in basic mathematics, a course in trade theory, a course in macroeconomic analysis, and a course in linear algebra. Do you think this is enough to meet the entry requirements for the MSc in economics at UvA, or generally speaking, for a good master in economics somewhere else, given that I have good grades and an international profile ?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by bladeswhite
Hello,

I am currently doing a Bachelor in Development Studies at Lund University, Sweden, majoring in Political Science. Having being increasingly interested in economics since the beginning of my programme, I am going to apply to several masters in economics after completion of my bachelor, including at the University of Amsterdam. However, I only have done a few courses in economics,mathematics and statistics, which makes me wonder if I have the adequate profile for an econ master. By the end of my bachelor, I'll have completed the following courses, corresponding to roughly 60 etcs credits (equivalent to one year of full-time studies): introductory microeconomics, introductory macroeconomics, quantitative business and economic analysis (=statistics), a course in basic mathematics, a course in trade theory, a course in macroeconomic analysis, and a course in linear algebra. Do you think this is enough to meet the entry requirements for the MSc in economics at UvA, or generally speaking, for a good master in economics somewhere else, given that I have good grades and an international profile ?

Thank you in advance.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question; I doubt anyone here can - you really need to email Amsterdam and ask them. I'm (sort of) considering applying for Development Studies at Lund, although my main interest is geography - is there my geography on the course? What made you decide to study in Sweden?
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I'm afraid I can't answer your question; I doubt anyone here can - you really need to email Amsterdam and ask them. I'm (sort of) considering applying for Development Studies at Lund, although my main interest is geography - is there my geography on the course? What made you decide to study in Sweden?

Thanks for your answer, well the Bachelor in Development Studies at Lund belongs to the Human Geography department, and the whole programme is centered around 4 main subjects: economic history, political science, sociology and human geography. So if human geography is what you like, you can choose it as your major.

Otherwise the reason why I chose Lund is partly for financial reasons (it's free) and also because it has an excellent academic reputation. Are you looking for doing a master or a bachelor ?
Original post by bladeswhite
Thanks for your answer, well the Bachelor in Development Studies at Lund belongs to the Human Geography department, and the whole programme is centered around 4 main subjects: economic history, political science, sociology and human geography. So if human geography is what you like, you can choose it as your major.

Otherwise the reason why I chose Lund is partly for financial reasons (it's free) and also because it has an excellent academic reputation. Are you looking for doing a master or a bachelor ?

Bachelor! It is free which is good but the living costs are, as I understand it, pretty high. Am I right in thinking there is no financial support? You have to pay for accom/food etc yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending