The Student Room Group

USC or UCLA requirements for UK students??

Hey everyone, after looking almost everwhere im a bit lost!!

Basically i'm looking to do film at either USC (cost permitting) or UCLA.

I'm just wondering, what kind of results will i need to get in? I know both are very selective and i currently have 4a's and 6b's at GCSE level, and my AS level's aren't looking too great.

Will the Uni's go on SAT's and GCSEs mainly? (as i have been told a couple of times that GCSEs are of high school leaving standard in America, whether this is true or not i have no real idea!!) Also how would i work out my GPA for my GCSEs?

anyyy help would by greatly appreciated, thanks!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
post this on the US study forum.
cameronmcgarry
Hey everyone, after looking almost everwhere im a bit lost!!

Basically i'm looking to do film at either USC (cost permitting) or UCLA.

I'm just wondering, what kind of results will i need to get in? I know both are very selective and i currently have 4a's and 6b's at GCSE level, and my AS level's aren't looking too great.

Will the Uni's go on SAT's and GCSEs mainly? (as i have been told a couple of times that GCSEs are of high school leaving standard in America, whether this is true or not i have no real idea!!) Also how would i work out my GPA for my GCSEs?

anyyy help would by greatly appreciated, thanks!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

No GCSE's are not of a high school leaving standard. Universities will go on A Levels or IB scores. Good universities will know all about A Levels and how to interpret them. Also, you will need to have excellent grades to get into those universities, especially as a non resident student. The SAT or the ACT is also important, you will need to get 2100 as an absolute minimum.
It's hard to say what definite A Level (or equivalent) grades you need- I wouldn't know that. As close to AAAA or better as you can possibly get for UCLA I'd imagine, especially for an international undergrad- it's exceedingly difficult. USC less. Extracurricular activities- these are somewhat important, but pick your best three or so- voluntary activities, in school and in the community, and it's best if these are longer term- at least a year in duration- (involvement in after school tutoring program for at-risk kids for a year) Start working on the SAT issue now: It's given in the UK at various sites. Take: SAT reasoning test (writing, maths, and verbal- lasts about 4 hours for the test, has 10 subtests, up to 5.5 hours in the testing room for instructions, rest breaks, etc.) Try to take it twice- you can use your best scores. Also, very important, as you can't take AP (you need and can't get, the preparation) take as many of the SAT II subject tests as you think you can do very well on- (score of 700- 800). These last an hour each; languages with listening, about 2 hours. Most of the SAT II tests are given in November, so be ready. Get your info, registration done, it's a good idea to buy a test practice book. Don't leave this beyond July.

Ask a lot of questions- email, or phone if you have too- use a prepaid card, it works out much cheaper. There is an 8 hour time difference between California and the UK.

Some links: UCLA: http://www.ucla.edu/audience/future.html

USC: http://www.usc.edu/admission/undergraduate/admission/international/

SAT gateway: http://www.collegeboard.com/splash/

Next, money: unfortunately, there is virtually zero chance of you getting any financial aid as an international undergraduate in the California state system...tuition and fees are not as astronomical as those in private universities, but in combination with living expenses and travel costs, it's a big financial commitment.

Perhaps it might be an idea for you to go to uni in the UK, and pick a uni with a year abroad progam in California. Then you'll have the chance to check all this out for yourself, and to see if it's for you. Then apply to graduate school in California?
I do A-levels (basically UK system of schooling) and got in UCLA along with Cornell. I will be going Imperial however.

If you really need info, you can get it from me.
Reply 5
I think its important to note that a lot of US schools put far less emphasis on academics than UK universities, there are factors such as extra-curriculars and references that play a far larger part (than they do in the UK). :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by s.e.r.e.n.e
I do A-levels (basically UK system of schooling) and got in UCLA along with Cornell. I will be going Imperial however.

what a levels did u get to get into ucla?
Reply 7
Original post by s.e.r.e.n.e

hi, i saw you got into UCLA and i really want to go there, i live in the uk at the moment and i haven't done my GCSEs yet but we have to choose our A-level subjects this week so i've been looking at courses at different unis so help me choose some A-levels
i was wondering, what grades did you need, to get into UCLA?
was it just 11 GCSEs and 3 Alevels?
and which SATs did you do?
thank you so much!
hey, was considering UCLA, what A levels did you do and what grades did you get if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 9
Original post by makomirocket
hey, was considering UCLA, what A levels did you do and what grades did you get if you dont mind me asking?

They wrote that seven years ago!
What Scores did you get ? and what do you reckon got you in (personal statement? or extra-curricular)
I really need info! UCLA is my dream school. Will they accept me if I do an IB diploma at college? I know that the USA let you take IB there so I was just wondering...
Also any tips on the essay and SAT!
Reply 12
what a levels did you do and what grades did you get? If i do a gap year then apply to say UCLA will that look bad?
Reply 13
Original post by y14nn15
what a levels did you do and what grades did you get? If i do a gap year then apply to say UCLA will that look bad?

My son got into UCLA . He did the
IB exam and
Got A*A*A ( physics , Chem , maths ) HL subjects
A AA for his SL subjects IB score of 40
He did SAT II subjects 750 and 770 ) ACT 29
And personal statement ( I think was strong )
Hope this helps a little .
Reply 14
@Igmal how much financial aid did he recieve to attend then? how much did you have to pay if you dont mind saying. Im asking because I think the UC's dont give out much financial aid so was wondering
Reply 15
Original post by Igmal
IB exam and

@Igmal how much financial aid did he recieve to attend then? how much did you have to pay if you dont mind saying. Im asking because I think the UC's dont give out much financial aid so was wondering
Original post by y14nn15

UCLA does not award any scholarships or financial aid to international students.
Reply 17
Original post by y14nn15

I have to pay 60 K USD per annum . It is a lot . UC don't give financial aid for undergraduate unfortunately .
Original post by Igmal
IB exam and

Neeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddd
What A levels did you take??

Latest

Trending

Trending