Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

UCL or St Andrews for maths??

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Visited both, both nice (albeit very different) places.

Only thing I really care about is quality of the course and postgraduate prospects

I'm at St Andrews at the moment, course is absolutely fantastic. Aside from a couple of dull ones, most lecturers are great and enthusiastic about their subject, and many have a good sense of humour. I remember one of them talking on the radio at one point, I'd be happy to link it for you if you wanted. Staff/PhD helpers in general are friendly, I already know a few of them quite well and I'm only in first year.

Possibly the biggest downside is that the first semester is 15 straight weeks with just a long weekend for Raisin in October. It includes exams though, which means you get to do your exams while it's still fresh in your brain, and you don't have to do any revision over Christmas, which is something a lot of universities don't do.

PhD-wise, you'll have a lot of options. Many people go on to do PhDs, some at St Andrews, some elsewhere. A decent amount of people go to Oxbridge for a PhD as well - that door is not going to close on you by coming here.

St Andrews. Their course is excellent from what I've heard (not in the top 5 for nothing!).

UCL ain't up to much but I guess it depends on which university you prefer as well

St Andrews is the stronger curriculum for pure mathematics, UCL is probably better on the applied (in the way that you think of the word at A-level, not the version where solving PDEs is applied).
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.