The Student Room Group

Quantum Phenomena

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefatone
how would i do question 6a part 2?

Remember about the emf of cells in parallel!

Spoiler

Calculate the emf from A and B and then add them to C+D :smile:
This is a series arrangement

Spoiler

This will give total emf :smile:
Reply 21
how would i do question 6a part 2?

We know the resistor rules, and that V = IR. Therefore, the same rule applied to emf (methinks)
Reply 22
Original post by The-Spartan
Remember about the emf of cells in parallel!

Spoiler

Calculate the emf from A and B and then add them to C+D :smile:
This is a series arrangement

Spoiler

This will give total emf :smile:

where does this come from? how would you know that? is there a rule of some sort stating this?

Original post by Kyx
We know the resistor rules, and that V = IR. Therefore, the same rule applied to emf (methinks)

i've managed to do it now though ^-^ thanks for the help
Reply 23
where does this come from? how would you know that? is there a rule of some sort stating this?

i've managed to do it now though ^-^ thanks for the help

np :smile:

I just got taught it as being fact (part of my course) :colondollar:
The rule being as you add cells in parallel, the EMF they supply does not change overall, only the capacity changes.
This may not have been on your course :frown:
Reply 25
I just got taught it as being fact (part of my course) :colondollar:
The rule being as you add cells in parallel, the EMF they supply does not change overall, only the capacity changes.
This may not have been on your course :frown:

well ffs i never got taught this >.> well at least i know, so for example instead of just a 1.5 V emf cell there was a 2 V emf cell in parallel what would i count the total emf as now?
well ffs i never got taught this >.> well at least i know, so for example instead of just a 1.5 V emf cell there was a 2 V emf cell in parallel what would i count the total emf as now?

Ah now this is where its dangerous. To have two cells of different voltages in parallel is dangerous, as they will try and become the same voltage.

In your case, the 2V cell will actually discharge into the 1.5V cell to try and make them both the same voltage (1.75V in this case). This could potentially cause a massive malfunction, alot of heat will be created.

Anyway, supposing that they dont blow up you can use the equation I=V1V2R1+R2I=\frac{V_{1}-V_{2}}{R_{1}+R_{2}} where V1,V2V_1, V_2 are the voltages of the cells and R1,R2R_1, R_2 are the resistances of the cells.

Otherwise the total emf would be (if they are rechargeable, and they dont blow up) the average of the two emfs:
Vtotal=V1+V2++VnnV_{total}=\dfrac{V_1+V_2+ \cdots + V_n}{n}
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Ah now this is where its dangerous. To have two cells of different voltages in parallel is dangerous, as they will try and become the same voltage.

In your case, the 2V cell will actually discharge into the 1.5V cell to try and make them both the same voltage (1.75V in this case). This could potentially cause a massive malfunction, alot of heat will be created.

Anyway, supposing that they dont blow up you can use the equation I=V1V2R1+R2I=\frac{V_{1}-V_{2}}{R_{1}+R_{2}} where V1,V2V_1, V_2 are the voltages of the cells and R1,R2R_1, R_2 are the resistances of the cells.

Otherwise the total emf would be (if they are rechargeable, and they dont blow up) the average of the two emfs:
Vtotal=V1+V2++VnnV_{total}=\dfrac{V_1+V_2+ \cdots + V_n}{n}

thanks so much ^-^
thanks so much ^-^

No problem :smile: dont try it though xD

Quick Reply

Latest