Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Which firms will give TCs without a Vacation scheme?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Do anyone know of particular firms where it's worth applying directly for a training contract even if you haven't done a vacation scheme? It's hard to tell from the websites...I've come to this a bit late so only got 1 vacation scheme but planning to do some direct applications to commercial firms....

This is a generalisation but will give you an idea of what firms to look at. Look at the number of vac scheme places vs the number of TCs available.

Firms will typically convert (accepted offers) somewhere between 50-70% of their vac schemers, so unless their ratio of vac schemes to TCs is higher than 1.5 : 1 then it's probably worth while applying to that firm. If the ratio is in favour of TCs then there's even more rationale to apply directly to them.

The Lawyer2B has a nifty training contract comparison tool on their website where you can see the TC and vac scheme numbers and compare them quite easily (http://l2b.thelawyer.com/training-co...omparison-tool). It even lists how many of their trainees did a vac scheme!

Thanks so much for this helpful reply!

This is such a broad question. There are so many firms knocking around the place.

There's a lot of places that don't mind. Two of the places I've applied to have offered me some sort of work experience in the interim. A firm in Plymouth offered me work experience. (Now to get myself down to Plymouth for a bit during a break!!) and the other place has offered me a paid internship for the foreseeable, I'm there now

Usually if you've sent in an application and they like it and it clearly impresses them then it pretty much negates the question of have you had work experience/Vac scheme there or not. They'll just give you the chance to do so "with a view to further opportunities..."

But from what I've seen and heard this "view" is more or less you're top of the pile when vacancies arise.

(Probably worth me mentioning that I'm talking high street/regional as opposed to massive city firms!)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.