Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Eu National - 3 years residency requirement

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm a EU national who got an offer from a university. I was planning on applying for Student Finance to cover my tuition fee. However, things are not as simple as they first seemed.

In order to be eligible for support, SAAS states on their webpage:

"You have been ordinarily resident in the relevant area for at least one year of the three yearperiod immediately prior to the relevant date and no part of that residence was wholly ormainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education".

Does anyone know if the above exception only applies for one consecutive year or if it also includes all the time you spent in your home country during that period of 3 years? How strict are they on enforcing this? As of August 1st, 9 months will have past since I came back home. That's short of 3 months. Will they decline my application?

"and no part of that residence was wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education"." Does this mean that I cannot enroll in a university program back home in wait for next year's application? Or is it only for people who moved to another country (in the EU) for the purpose studying?

I really don't see the point of this rule. I've been living back home for my whole life save 2 years... Should I really have to decline my university offer, wait another year, reapply with the possibility of rejection just for a lack of 3 months?

Lastly what's considered temporary employment? They don't really go into any depth of what it would include, they only list the type of information they need in order to asses you.

Thank you.

I also find the "ordinary resident" and "wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education" bits quite confusing. Yes, I've been in full-time education in Scotland since August 2015, but I moved here in September 2013 and I've worked full-time for the first 2 years and live here with my girlfriend ever since without any breaks. I am planning to continue education by going to the university for the 3rd and 4th year of my degree once I complete my HND at college in summer 2017 and I am going to apply for the full funding then. I had an email from SAAS saying that no guarantee can be given until my application is properly assessed but I should be eligible for funding given my circumstances. I do intent to stay here permanently and consider myself as an "ordinary resident" because the reason I moved and stay here is not studying itself (I did it purely to be able to get a better job in Scotland), how do SAAS expect me to prove that though once I send my application through?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.