The Student Room Group

Relationships and graduating

Heya guys

Could do with some hearing some advice/experiences on what you did when you graduated in terms of your relationships. Did you stick them out long distance or just break up?

In which case, is it better to break up now and have some closure (but be miserable for the rest of term) or stick things out til the end of term, kiss goodbye and walk out of each other's lives?

As a bit of a background, we'll both be graduating with good degrees but neither of us have any career plan/idea of what we want to do. We live pretty far apart, both in rural areas so it will be expensive to see each other. I don't think either of us are ready to move in together or live at each others houses mostly because of the job uncertainty. I think our general plans in that respect are to try to find work near home until we can afford to move out.

So yeah, how did you guys work things out? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Heya guys

Could do with some hearing some advice/experiences on what you did when you graduated in terms of your relationships. Did you stick them out long distance or just break up?

In which case, is it better to break up now and have some closure (but be miserable for the rest of term) or stick things out til the end of term, kiss goodbye and walk out of each other's lives?

As a bit of a background, we'll both be graduating with good degrees but neither of us have any career plan/idea of what we want to do. We live pretty far apart, both in rural areas so it will be expensive to see each other. I don't think either of us are ready to move in together or live at each others houses mostly because of the job uncertainty. I think our general plans in that respect are to try to find work near home until we can afford to move out.

So yeah, how did you guys work things out? :smile:

It sounds like you re giving up a bit to be honest , if things should work out you can make them work out. If the job uncertainty is the only reason holding you back why not find jobs for now in your uni city and work on finding grad jobs then? Rural areas aren't going to have brilliant grad opportunities anyway?
Reply 2
Assuming you're reasonably happy with the relationship now it seems a bit daft to pre-emptively break up. If moving in together now isn't an option I suggest you take it in turns to visit each other for weekends every 2-4 weeks and see how things go. Of course you may end up drifting apart but on the other hand you might feel it's time to move in together an a year's time. Either way at least you'll have given it a try and you'll still be together in the meantime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending