The Student Room Group

What is the worst injury/illness you have had?

Scroll to see replies

Split my head open jumping through a door during a water fight when I was 6 or 7 :lol:

Never broken a bone, touch wood.
Swine flu when that was going around. Good thing I'm vegetarian now.
Reply 22
Lung failure.
I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome so I'm forever subluxicating (partially dislocating) my elbows, wrists, thumbs, kneecaps and OMG my shoulder is a nightmare (it's done it at least twelve times today). That's on top of other joints "pulling" and popping and all of the other fun stuff that comes with EDS, but I've learned to live with it now and I'm becoming good at pacing myself.

In terms of what I hated the most, though, was a nasty ear infection that led to my ear drum tearing three years ago. So bad that even my doctor went "oooooh, ouch, you poor love, no wonder you're in pain!" after I'd had two hours sleep because of the pain (and I have a pretty darn high threshold)
Not really had any serious injuries. Worst would have to be a bruised muscle and "popped" (how an osteopath described it) ribs in my back. Girl crashed into me while skiing and for about two years almost half my ribs were slightly out of place and scar tissue built up in the area meaning it hurt a whole bunch. Couldn't even lift a jug of water and got reccuring pain often. Took about a year to get the ribs to stay in the right place and my arm/ shoulder still don't work quite right.

I also have hypothyroidism (basically makes you bloody tired all the time and makes any little illness hit you harder) and IBS (bad gut pain) which makes everyday life a pain but isn't serious in a life threatening way or anything and is more on the mild side for me.
Had tonsilitis and a chest infetion too.

Honestly probably the worst health issue i've had is depression and OCD. It isn't exactly super serious or life threatening in itself but it's effects are so all encompasing it's unescapable and leads to so many more problems. Came to a point I was contemplating harm and death every night and honestly made me feel like it was better to be dead than how I was. Worst part is the constant doubting myself and others. Turned me against some of my best friends and meant I didn't know what was real or paranoia. Constantly had to fight my own mind to stay functional. My greatest achievement to date is overcoming that and getting to a stable point.
Original post by Anonymous
emerging OCD. Its something i'm never going to get rid of and is only going to get worse :frown:

Thought i'd mention that I have OCD and although it has not gone completely nor will it ever I have become much better at coping with it and it is not a daily torment anymore. It's different for everybody, but it is possible to improve. :smile:
Psoriatic arthritis
Currently going through a scare because of an incidental finding on a scan - probably the first major thing
A broken fifth metacarpal and swan neck deformity of the pinky that followed :closedeyes::closedeyes:
I had fatigue for 2 days then my waters turned red and brown for 10 days. It was blood in my urine but they never found out what caused it.
High Altitude Pulmonary Oedema.. had to be evacuated by helicopter back to Kathmandu
Tonsillitis, I literally have it around 4/5x every year and it is so horrible!
Reply 31
cramp in my calf when i was uh, doing a certain activity with my ex gf

hurt like a bish
Broken my tib and fib resulting in three operations

Two years later and it's only just started to heal

People have had worse, but gosh is it annoying
I've never actually been seriously injured or ever broken a bone in my life. I would say when I sprained both of my wrists in Year 8 P.E
Feminism
Reply 35
I burned my arm on tomato soup if that counts
Meningitis. Docs gave me a 40% chance of surviving to my poor parents
Reply 37
actually one time i stepped on a plug
I don't think I've had any serious illnesses, but my worst two injuries were:

- Back in Year 2, I was playing in the garden and repeatedly jumping off the garden wall. Unfortunately, one time, I jumped and did not land on my feet, breaking my left arm on the concrete. Really painful, but the worst part was when it was placed in the sling, literally screaming in pain :frown:

- Went for a family dinner because it was my granddads birthday, and me and my sister were playing in the forest part in the pub garden with some friends, when things turned badly. Basically, I wasn't looking where I was going and I stood on a nail which was on this piece of wood (there was lots of it in the forest part) and it went in my foot (luckily not through it). It was absolutely horrible, and I basically could not walk properly for several days
I broke a bone for the first time in my life, and I don't even do that much exercise. I basically hit the car in front while on my bike, and the brakes failed at the most convenient time ever

Quick Reply

Latest