The Student Room Group

Which uni should I choose

Hi,

I have received offers for Computer Science from Glasgow, Royal Holloway, Swansea, and Surrey.

Glasgow ranks good in world rankings and is a Russel group. Its buildings are amazing and Glasgow city is so vibrant and student friendly. However, the fact that the course takes 4 years is throwing me back.
Concerning Royal Holloway, I have been told that it is usually better for Arts courses so I guess it's out of my possible choices.
Computer Science at Swansea is really good but I was told that facilities and building at Swansea are not that great, and that the city has nothing much to offer.
I left Surrey for the end for a reason. It ranks top 5 in league tables and is one of the rising universities in UK and the world. It offers a significant placement year and is just half an hour away from London. However, what throws me back is that its reputation as a new university might affect my graduate prospects in UK and abroad (I'm an international student).

I would appreciate any advice you can give concerning which uni to firm.
Glasgow is a well-established university with a strong CS department and good international reputation.
Original post by Karamt
Hi,

I have received offers for Computer Science from Glasgow, Royal Holloway, Swansea, and Surrey.

Glasgow ranks good in world rankings and is a Russel group. Its buildings are amazing and Glasgow city is so vibrant and student friendly. However, the fact that the course takes 4 years is throwing me back.
Concerning Royal Holloway, I have been told that it is usually better for Arts courses so I guess it's out of my possible choices.
Computer Science at Swansea is really good but I was told that facilities and building at Swansea are not that great, and that the city has nothing much to offer.
I left Surrey for the end for a reason. It ranks top 5 in league tables and is one of the rising universities in UK and the world. It offers a significant placement year and is just half an hour away from London. However, what throws me back is that its reputation as a new university might affect my graduate prospects in UK and abroad (I'm an international student).

Hi Karamt,

Congrats on your offers!

If you're interested in comparing rankings, it's worth noting that Royal Holloway ranks

12th in UK for teaching quality in the 2016 Times Good University Guide.

28th in the UK for research quality in REF 2014

129th in the World in the Times Higher World University Rankings

Additionally, our overall student satisfaction in the latest National Student Survey was 89%, making us a top university among the University of London institutions and larger London-based universities for overall student satisfaction.

You've also highlighted the importance of close proximity to London. We're around 40 minutes via train to central London, which has the highest concentration of IT companies in the UK, many of which come to Royal Holloway to talk to students or to be involved in teaching.

Drop me a message if you have any questions about Royal Holloway.

Camilla :smile:
Original post by Karamt
Hi,

Hello Karamt,

Congratulations on receiving an offer from Swansea University!

Swansea University offers a great student experience (Top 10 in the UK for Student Satisfaction in NSS 2015). We have two University campuses which are both right opposite the beach. If you are someone who likes being outdoors surrounded by beautiful scenery (beaches, parks etc) then I think you would really like Swansea. Our city centre is only about 10 minutes bus ride away from each campus and has everything you may need - shops, restaurants, bars, good night life etc and we are only one hour from Cardiff by train if you did want to go to a bigger city to shop etc.

Regarding our Computer Science course, it was ranked 2nd in the UK for Student Satisfaction in NSS 2015 and 7th overall in the UK and 1st in Wales in the 2016 Times League Table. The department is continually updating its laboratories to ensure equipment is up-to-date and it's never more than three years old. You can find out much more about the course and the facilities here -
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/computer-science/bsc-computer-science-g400/

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will try my best to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending