The Student Room Group

Potential EPQ title ideas?

I'm considering doing a history-related EPQ, and I've been floating around several title ideas, for example,

'To what extent can it be argued that there was a 'Golden Age' in the 11-12th century Byzantine Empire, and what factors influenced this?'

or...

'What factors most influenced the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476AD?'

Whilst I'm interested in the areas these titles cover, I feel like they are either too vague, or in the case of the second title, too generic. I'd consider doing something on Sengoku/Meiji period Japan, or perhaps something else around the 18th-19th century period Europe (think Napoleon or the unification of Germany for example), but I don't have any ideas for research which I feel are worth pursuing.

Are my original title ideas fine, and if not, are there any others people could suggest for the time periods I've given example of? Struggling with this part of the EPQ doesn't bode well for the later part of the process ;_;
I wrote an essay with a similar title: "To what extent was Medieval Spain a 'Golden Age' of religious tolerance?". This isn't really any use to you but I just thought it was an interesting similarity.
Reply 2
Whilst doing my EPQ, I found that it sort of worked out as a funnel. At first I had all these ideas that were broad and they gradually developed into more detailed, specific titles. If you come up with various broad ideas at the start, this will prompt research and you'll be able to gather all this information and decide on a more specific title. People think that they need to come up with a title immediately and stick to it, but it's best to get ideas first before you even consider starting to write an essay because you may end up wanting to completely change it by the time you start writing it. Sorry that I haven't been able to give any specific ideas on what your title could be but don't panic if you can't think of a set title straight away! :smile:
(also, I found google scholars very helpful to come up with some sorts of ideas)

Quick Reply

Latest