Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Under 18 going to GP?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    So I've been feeling really stressed and depressed and my GCSE's are coming up.... can I go to the doctor myself and get Antidepressents and leave my parents out of it; I really don't want to involve them?

    Yeah you can. Usually there are special clinics for young people to go to. You can also get confidential help from school counselors and nurses.

    They'll automatically see you alone provided you're at least 16. Not 18.

    And antidepressants to literally zilch unless you're genuinely ill. Stress doesn't fall under the banner of mental illness.

    At your age they're highly unlikely to just put you on antidepressants at the drop of a hat. They'll want to properly assess you and get you try non drug related therapies first. Most won't prescribe them to those under 18 unless they're deemed a danger to themselves.

    Secondly even if they did give you antidepressants it's not an instant fix. For one it can take weeks-months for them to have an affect and furthermore you may not get along with the ones they initially give you. Antidepressants are trial and error and it could be a long time before you find one that suits you.

    Confidentiality depends on your age and whether they deem you to be a harm to yourself/others. If under 16 confidentiality may be up to the doctors discretion depending on situation as far as I am aware (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I remember reading the confidentially guidelines once and this is vaguely what I remember.

    you can see your doctor alone and talk to them (and in theory receive treatment providing you can demonstrate you understand the consequences etc), providing you're not deemed a risk to yourself/others than that should stay confidential... however, they are not going to prescribe you anti depressants at your age with no other intervention and no family support, you might get a referral to mental health services but they may want to see how things go with that as well

    EDIT: I would advise speaking to someone at school, there will probably be a school counsellor/nurse or something who you will be able to speak to sooner than someone in your local mental health unit

    (Original post by LilStunna)
    So I've been feeling really stressed and depressed and my GCSE's are coming up.... can I go to the doctor myself and get Antidepressents and leave my parents out of it; I really don't want to involve them?
    At 16 and above you have complete confidentiality. If you want help, don't let peoples opinions on what the antidepressants may or may not do stop you. Its always worth a shot eh? All the best
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.