The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship Pay

Hi all,

So basically I've been a L3 apprentice for over a year..I found out not long ago that, because i fit in the 'aged 19 and over' catergory, I have to have a payrise as I've been there for more than a year. First problem is I haven't had the balls to mention it to my HR/Payroll department and I don't know how to go about it!

Secondly would I have lost the extra money I should have been paid from when I'd been there a year or would they have to pay that?
(edited 8 years ago)
1. Does it apply to your apprenticeship (check your contract) It may state somewhere that you don't qualify due to something in your contract.
2. If it does apply, just tell your manager, he's not paying you, the company is. If he won't speak to HR for you, drop them an email.

Apprentice wages aren't the same as employed wages, there's not actually any difference in minimum wage for apprentices of any age.

If your contract says "employees over 19 years of age, who have been with the company for a year should get a pay rise" then you'll be entitled to it back dated.
It sounds more like something in place for regular employees.
Reply 2
If you've been with the company for a year you should get a pay rise. Depending on some companies they dont give rises with age its more with how long you've been with the company. But speak to HR and they can also back date your payments
Original post by raesa786
If you've been with the company for a year you should get a pay rise. Depending on some companies they dont give rises with age its more with how long you've been with the company. But speak to HR and they can also back date your payments

You are not entitled to a pay rise.
It is not a requirement anywhere that you have to have more money after 1 year of being with the company.
Especially as an apprentice. As an apprentice you'll more likely have a pay structure that reflects becoming more qualified, which should be outlined in your contract and will often differ massively from the rest of the company.
My apprentice wage increases by £1500 p/a every 6 months as long as certain criteria are met.
It does state in UK law that if someone is on an apprenticeship for more than a year at a company they are entitled to have their wage increased to the minimum wage of that age. It won't be the equivalent to the new living wage but it will be a slight increase to what you are on currently.

Here is a sample for your reference "The National Minimum Wage for apprentices from 1 October 2014 for age under 19 or aged 19 or over but in the first year of their Apprenticeship is £2.73 per hour. Apprentices over the age of 19 and who have completed one year of their Apprenticeship are entitled to receive the National Minimum Wage applicable to their age. These rates apply to time working, plus time spent training that is part of the Apprenticeship." So you are entitled to receive an increase in pay.
Original post by Individuality
It does state in UK law that if someone is on an apprenticeship for more than a year at a company they are entitled to have their wage increased to the minimum wage of that age. It won't be the equivalent to the new living wage but it will be a slight increase to what you are on currently.

Here is a sample for your reference "The National Minimum Wage for apprentices from 1 October 2014 for age under 19 or aged 19 or over but in the first year of their Apprenticeship is £2.73 per hour. Apprentices over the age of 19 and who have completed one year of their Apprenticeship are entitled to receive the National Minimum Wage applicable to their age. These rates apply to time working, plus time spent training that is part of the Apprenticeship." So you are entitled to receive an increase in pay.

Apologies then, didn't realise that was the case now.
I know you're not required one in a full time job, and most apprenticeships have pay structures, put the two together to start a new misconception. :wink:

From that, I'd say just get onto HR ASAP.
I think your situation is fixable though as you are in the right and the law in this case is on your side, I myself am an apprentice as well coming up to a year. However my circumstances are different as I am looking to leave my current work place due to me already finishing my NVQ and no longer getting on with my management. If you do go speak to HR make sure you have proof of your entitlement to a raise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending