The Student Room Group

Studying abroad, wanting to transfer to a UK med school?

Hey everyone, this is a bit of an unusual situation haha, so please bear with me.
So i got into medical school in Egypt a year ago. Am about to finish my first year. And i was wondering if it would be possible to somehow transfer to a UK uni.
My university is accredited and everything, and I'm a UK national, basically lived in the UK all my life, so no problems with the language etc.
To any of you who might have some information about how i might be able to do this... Help ?! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sabby888
Hey everyone, this is a bit of an unusual situation haha, so please bear with me.
So i got into medical school in Egypt a year ago. Am about to finish my first year. And i was wondering if it would be possible to somehow transfer to a UK uni.
My university is accredited and everything, and I'm a UK national, basically lived in the UK all my life, so no problems with the language etc.
To any of you who might have some information about how i might be able to do this... Help ?! Thank you :smile:

The sad truth is, it's not really possible. It's hard enough to transfer between UK medical schools. I don't think any accept transfers from international medical schools.
You'll have to finish the degree there and then look at moving over here when qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
The sad truth is, it's not really possible. It's hard enough to transfer between UK medical schools. I don't think any accept transfers from international medical schools.
You'll have to finish the degree there and then look at moving over here when qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh yep, that's sorta what I expected :/

It's just that I'm living here on my own, the culture and the political instability are things that make living here quite difficult, especially for the next 5 years. (Med degree in Egypt is 6 years, not sure about the UK). Not to mention the standard of education in UK unis are slightly better when it comes to medicine.

I was thinking maybe I could write separately to a handful of medical schools in the UK about my personal situation and see what they say.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabby888
Ahhh yep, that's sorta what I expected :/

It's just that I'm living here on my own, the culture and the political instability are things that make living here quite difficult, especially for the next 5 years. (Med degree in Egypt is 6 years, not sure about the UK). Not to mention the standard of education in UK unis are slightly better when it comes to medicine.

I was thinking maybe I could write separately to a handful of medical schools in the UK about my personal situation and see what they say.

Well, you've got nothing to lose by writing to them and asking, but realistically I think your chances of being accepted for a transfer are pretty poor. You could also ask whether they would consider you if you dropped out of your current uni and applied to UK med school for first year entry, if you meet the A-level requirements etc, but again I don't know how they'd look on that.

Quick Reply