The Student Room Group

How many hours a day should you revise for ALevel Maths

I am doing my entire maths ALevel in one year, I am aiming for an A*. How many hours, in general, do people revise.
Also, is it true that to get an A* for Edexcel, you need an average of 90% in C3 and C4 or is it UMS? :smile:
Reply 1
Probably 1 hour c1
1 hour c2
1 hour c3
1 hour c4

You need Good AS grades and overall 90% in A2 for an A*
Reply 2
Original post by SilverRuby

Also, is it true that to get an A* for Edexcel, you need an average of 90% in C3 and C4 or is it UMS? :smile:

To get an A* in maths A-Level you need to satisfy two criteria simultaneously:

(i) Get 480/600 UMS across your six best modules.
(ii) Get 180 UMS across C3 and C4.

This isn't as hard as you think, for example, this combination would get you an A*:

C1: 75
C2: 75
C3: 95
C4: 85
M1: 75
S1: 75
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken

This isn't as hard as you think, for example, this combination would get you an A*:

It near impossible to get 90%, just human error

and then the questions at the end which you cannot revise for mean you are guaranteed to loose marks (although I guess the questions at the end are to differentiate A* from A)
Reply 4
Original post by James222
It near impossible to get 90%, just human error

and then the questions at the end which you cannot revise for mean you are guaranteed to loose marks (although I guess the questions at the end are to differentiate A* from A)

Depends on the person. Getting 95+ isn't really a struggle for some of the people I know.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Depends on the person. Getting 95+ isn't really a struggle for some of the people I know.

Id think most people would struggle

I wonder if the way to get over 90 is to revise with much harder questions rather than standard textbooks
Reply 6
Original post by James222
Id think most people would struggle

I wonder if the way to get over 90 is to revise with much harder questions rather than standard textbooks

Meh. I don't really see what the issue is, it doesn't require much work, in my experience. Mileage varies, of course.
Probably on exam leave about 2 hours per subject
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken

Thats not too bad, C3, C1, C2, S1, i have been averaging around 90% on my past papers, M1 around 80%. I am just worried about C4 because as we have learnt the entire Alevel course in one year, we have not been able to do any past papers yet and it is getting quite late and it is a key paper towards getting and A*.
Reply 9
Original post by SilverRuby
Thats not too bad, C3, C1, C2, S1, i have been averaging around 90% on my past papers, M1 around 80%. I am just worried about C4 because as we have learnt the entire Alevel course in one year, we have not been able to do any past papers yet and it is getting quite late and it is a key paper towards getting and A*.

If you get full UMS in C3, you can afford to get 80 UMS in C4, but I wouldn't bank on that. You have months left, plenty of time to do past papers. If you focus on C4, the A* should become a mere formality.

Quick Reply

Latest