Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sleep Troubles

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So lately I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping and I think it might be to do with stress and me being so down lately.

Getting to sleep at first is a major issue. I can spend an hour tossing and turning, even though I feel tired, I just can't drift off, or I can't 'shut my mind down'. Throughout the night I've been waking up a lot too, sometimes three or four times with no reason because I don't hear anything going on and everyone else in the house is asleep.

I've always had trouble sleeping, but it's just worse lately. I often take naps as well to help me through the day however I've not been able to lately even when feeling so tired.

Can anyone make some suggestions as to what I can do? I've tried improving diet/exercise. No difference and it wasn't bad to begin with.

Just to add to my above post....currently going on little sleep, so tired that it's making me feel physically sick yet I'm still awake and can't sleep.

Have you tried Nytol One a night?
    It works for me

Let's start with the easy, safe solutions:

1) Install f.lux (or equivalent), and gradually darken the screen in the evening into the far red. Avoid any kind of bright white or blue-ish light in the evenings: red and dim is best.
    2) Don't eat anything within 3 hours of when you plan on going to bed. Make sure you are eating on a regular schedule.
    3) Go to bed at the same time every night, as far as possible.
    4) If the above don't work (give them a few weeks: the latter two in particular are likely to take a while to fix themselves), talk to an actual doctor about it.

Try doing something that will take your mind off whatever is bothering you. Try writing all your feelings down on a paper so you sleep with a clear mind. Eat properly, lack of eating for me makes me sleep less. If you have exams and thats causing you to stress, or whatever it is, IT WILL SOON GO. So dont worry about it. Rememebrer your health is better than stressing so look after yourself. If it helps then take a nap in the day, or whenever you feel tired. Do some excercise so you feel extremely tired and can fall asleep properly, try taking a shower before you sleep, to calm all your feelings and stress levels.

All of the above are just suggestions, they helped me when i was extrememrly stressed, and atm i am again bcoz of stupid GCSE's.

If it helps talk to a friend about it so your stress is not all blocked inside of you.

Hope this helped.x
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.