The Student Room Group

Mental health volunteering

What are good mental health volunteering opportunities? Are there any charities or NHS trusts which offer volunteer the opportunities to be listeners like Samaritans but in person?
Original post by Ybsy75
What are good mental health volunteering opportunities? Are there any charities or NHS trusts which offer volunteer the opportunities to be listeners like Samaritans but in person?

Look into mind and your local NHS trust :smile:
Reply 2
I have but not sue what I'm looking for?
Original post by Ybsy75

It's difficult to get mental health volunteering because you would need so many checks and so much training (for example, Samaritans has quite a stringent application process which takes a long time). Are you looking for volunteering for a specific uni course?
Reply 4
But there's a lot of them that exists. And mental health volunteering is nothing compared to emergency services volunteer. All 3 major emergency services in the UK and the RNLI recruit volunteers who have all the same duties and responsibilities as paid staff.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm studying my masters in psychology at the moment and definitely found it quite a challenge to find volunteering within the mental health field in the UK. As already mentioned a lot of places require experience in the area already and come with a lot of checks and training; as well as being reasonably competitive as well - even just to volunteer!

I actually did a mental health volunteering placement abroad in Sri Lanka. I spent 3 months there doing some really hands on work organising therapeutic activities in a psychiatric facility and with individuals with special needs. It was a really great experience and definitely completely different to any of the volunteering opportunities I found within the mental health field here in the UK. It also meant I got to travel and spend some time in a beautiful country at the same time! If anyone has any questions about it I'm happy to answer them :smile:
Reply 6
even for volunteering for people not interested in a full time career in the sector?
I voulenteer with a charity called YoungMinds, They are great and are really lovely throughout your voluntary experience, you can choose out of three titles Youth Presenter which I am doing and I have to travel throughout Europe speaking about my experiences on mental health and travel to meetings, schools, government boards trying to reduce the stigma on mental health in society. Take a look I'm sure it will be worth it.
Reply 8
Cool. What are the other 3 titles?
Original post by Ybsy75

Like @Charlotte49 said, in person stuff can be pretty challenging! 7 Cups of Tea is an online active listening service, which offers an intern programme, but it's definitely worth checking if it will get recognised.
Original post by Ybsy75
Cool. What are the other 3 titles?

Media Champion and Youth Facilitator, I'm not 100% in what the roles consist of doing but I'm certain their website has all the information needed if you are really interested :smile:
Reply 11
But there must be some in person stuff?
Original post by Ybsy75
But there must be some in person stuff?

Have a look through the different opportunities on psychlink.co - some of that is helpline work but lots of the jobs look quite hands-on as well.

Quick Reply

Latest