The Student Room Group

US elections a ‘charade’ – Ron Paul

OLO7wmHZVYc
The reality is that both parties want voters to vote for their nominee in the general, but they don't trust voters to choose their nominees for them. The voting process during the primary is more about getting the electorate excited, it was never about allowing the electorate to be empowered. The allusion has succeeded until now. Even if Trump and/or Sanders don't get nominated (and they probably won't). Their real contribution to their movements is to dispel the allusion. If the people don't respond accordingly then they deserve what they get.
Reply 2
I will be happy when all this is all over
Original post by M14B

I won't. I'm enjoying every minute of the mayhem, and I hope it leaves devastation in its' wake.
Original post by ckingalt
The reality is that both parties want voters to vote for their nominee in the general, but they don't trust voters to choose their nominees for them. The voting process during the primary is more about getting the electorate excited, it was never about allowing the electorate to be empowered. The allusion has succeeded until now. Even if Trump and/or Sanders don't get nominated (and they probably won't). Their real contribution to their movements is to dispel the allusion. If the people don't respond accordingly then they deserve what they get.

I speak as a Bernie supporter who desperately wants him to win, but this is all too conspiracy-esque. Clinton has won more votes than Bernie. Trump has won the most votes, but more have voted against him than for him and this is reflected in the delegate totals (in fact, contrary to his claims, the delegate allocation methods have, if anything, disproportionately favoured Trump so far).

Sure, party bigwigs have their preferred candidates who they give advantages to, but ultimately they still need those candidates to win the votes.
Ron Paul is a bit of a nutjob anyway. Didn't he propose a flat tax rate or something?
Original post by anarchism101
I speak as a Bernie supporter who desperately wants him to win, but this is all too conspiracy-esque. Clinton has won more votes than Bernie. Trump has won the most votes, but more have voted against him than for him and this is reflected in the delegate totals (in fact, contrary to his claims, the delegate allocation methods have, if anything, disproportionately favoured Trump so far).

Sure, party bigwigs have their preferred candidates who they give advantages to, but ultimately they still need those candidates to win the votes.

It is not a conspiracy, it is just a rigged system. The votes that Sanders and Trump have received are in spite of the efforts of their perspective parties. That makes them significantly more difficult to get. How would the votes counts look if the party leaders merely sought to facilitate a nomination instead of manipulating one?
Original post by ckingalt

Intrigued by what you mean by 'respond accordingly'?
Reply 8
Original post by M14B

The American elections are never over. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Ron Paul is a bit of a nutjob anyway. Didn't he propose a flat tax rate or something?

He wants to abolish the Fed. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Most of our leaders can be linked to bankers like Goldman Sachs why is that?
Original post by Josb
He wants to abolish the Fed. :rolleyes:

Oh wow. I've got a mate who puts every recession ever down to fiat currency, guess I know where he gets his ideas from now. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending