Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Best contemporary music courses

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I am a student pursuing an undergrad degree in Economics from the University of Delhi. I have been learning the piano for a few years and am interested in making a career in music. I currently have a grade 4 certificate in piano and a grade 2 certificate in Music theory from ABRSM.
    I plan to apply for an undergrad course in music (B.Mus) in UK in a few years after completing my grade 8 in piano and gaining some proficiency in guitar for working upon as a second instrument. I come from an upper middle class background in Delhi and can afford a 9000 pound/year course at max after taking up part time jobs in UK and studying. I wish to enter my B.Music course after completing an M.A in Economics due to the financial constraints and lack of job security in a place like India. Music has been my passion for a lot of years now and I desperately need some professional guidance and exposure to an artistically stimulating environment. Primarily, I want to pursue music in the genres of Rock, Jazz and Blues coupled with my existing knowledge over Indian Classical and work as a performing and recording artist (or anything else related to music that I can get my hands on). There is nothing else in the world that gives me as much peace and happiness as music does, literally. I have a decent command over the English language, have done a short course on creative writing from the British Council, New Delhi.
    What I am looking for is advice on best colleges in UK(preferably London) to study contemporary music(reviews on London Centre for Contemporary Music, BIMM, Academy of Contemporary Music, etc are all welcome), a few tips on financing education for an international student with a Masters in Economics and a C2 level proficiency in English through part time work(without compromising on the music education) and the chances for making a career and settling down in UK permanently with a career in music performance.
    I know the idea of pursuing music after completing a masters seems silly and very unconventional, but due to the limited resources and my family's objections to such a pursuit I'm having to follow such a path where I have something to fall back upon and at least pay-off the loans I might incur in the process.
    Every small bit of advice being offered by any one is highly appreciated.

No idea, but perhaps The_Lonely_Goatherd can help?

(Original post by Snufkin)
    No idea, but perhaps The_Lonely_Goatherd can help?
    Sadly I can only advise on certain universities/conservatoires at a basic level on their classical music degree programmes. I do not have any knowledge of the types of courses mention
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.