The Student Room Group

Is it true law schools dislike law degrees?

2 of my teachers are telling me that Law schools prefer degrees like history or politics because they teach you better skills than a law degree, but Indont really buy into that because surely a better knowledge of the laws is more beneficial? To what extent is this true?
I don't know what you mean by law schools.

For training contracts at city firms there's roughly a 50/50 split between law and non-law degrees, so there's no preference either way in that regard.
Law schools? Do you mean law firms? Law schools provide law degrees, so there's no way they could prefer history or politics.
Original post by tengentoppa
I don't know what you mean by law schools.

For training contracts at city firms there's roughly a 50/50 split between law and non-law degrees, so there's no preference either way in that regard.

The 50:50 is not, law : politics/history. It's law : every other subject.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
The 50:50 is not, law : politics/history. It's law : every other subject.

I know.

Hence why I wrote there's a 50/50 split between law and non-law subjects.
I know.

Hence why I wrote there's a 50/50 split between law and non-law subjects.

I am not saying you don't know that. I am merely emphasising the point that non-law covers a whole range of degrees, and it's only when all these degrees are combined do they equal successful law applications. It's not necessarily true to suggest there is no preference, therefore, of particular degree subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
I am not saying you don't know that. I am merely emphasising the point that non-law covers a whole range of degrees, and it's only when all these degrees are combined do they equal successful law applications. It's not necessarily true to suggest there is no preference, therefore, of particular degree subjects.

Yes that is true.

The OP should be aware that history would serve you better when applying for TCs then, say, fine art.
Reply 7
Yes that is true.

The OP should be aware that history would serve you better when applying for TCs then, say, fine art.
I see, but I got told that a law degree doesn't provide you with the skills that they actually want such as finding and extracting relevant information like you would from history or politics.

Also that you just read and learn all the laws but that isn't benifit oak because laws are constantly changing, and that makes it more difficult for law firms/schools as they have to re-teach you the way they want you be not the way the uni wants you to be?
Original post by SlimShady96
I see, but I got told that a law degree doesn't provide you with the skills that they actually want such as finding and extracting relevant information like you would from history or politics.

Also that you just read and learn all the laws but that isn't benifit oak because laws are constantly changing, and that makes it more difficult for law firms/schools as they have to re-teach you the way they want you be not the way the uni wants you to be?

Well you are being told rubbish. By far rge most popular degree for law school is errrm Law. I wonder why.

Actually I give in. No your whole thread is based on someone feeding you rubbish information.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Well you are being told rubbish. By far rge most popular degree for law school is errrm Law. I wonder why.

Actually I give in. No your whole thread is based on someone feeding you rubbish information.

I do find it hard to believe and I did argue with them about it, but I literally just typed it in the Internet and the sort stuff they were talking about actually came up, I know law is going to be the most popular degree in law firms but that doesn't mean they don't prefer others, if you do a law degree your career can only really go in one direction.

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/law-solicitors/291241-all-degrees-welcome-why-non-law-graduates-are-in-demand-for-solicitors-jobs
I do find it hard to believe and I did argue with them about it, but I literally just typed it in the Internet and the sort stuff they were talking about actually came up, I know law is going to be the most popular degree in law firms but that doesn't mean they don't prefer others, if you do a law degree your career can only really go in one direction.

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/law-solicitors/291241-all-degrees-welcome-why-non-law-graduates-are-in-demand-for-solicitors-jobs

Err no again. You need to read what you link and consider where its coming from.
Your iriginal claims are rubbish. What does happen is that law firms like a mix of students and they dont discriminate against non law grads , but recognise the different things they might bring such as scientific knowledge or language skills. The article doesnt say what you were suggesting earlier, which was twaddle.

Its in the sites interest to talk up non law grads because thats part of how it gets its revenue. Theres no need for you to talk down law grads, its ridiculous. If they were indeed inferior to people with other degrees, then law firms wouldnt recruit them and law students wouldnt take law.

Balls.

You can do any general career as with any of the other academic degree. It's not like Maths leads to anything specific either.

FYI, the ratio is still 50:50 law to non-law. Law students can't, by definition, be less favoured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
2 of my teachers are telling me that Law schools prefer degrees like history or politics because they teach you better skills than a law degree, but Indont really buy into that because surely a better knowledge of the laws is more beneficial? To what extent is this true?

There are a lot of articles debating this and also, a video of a debate between a barrister and a top judge who attended Cambridge and Oxford respectively on YouTube/Cambridge's website. Better to get it from the horses' mouths! Here's the link:http://youtu.be/uMR1NIEifWM
(edited 8 years ago)

That is not true at all. A law degree opens up a lot of doors. Not all people with law degrees want to end up as a solicitor or barrister (even though they have thought about it). Many people end up working in the Big Four, banks, as well as different sectors. To say that it can go only in one direction is flawed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending