The Student Room Group

Maclaurin series Validity?

Im currently revising FP2 and am doing Maclaurin series. I was wondering how you work out the validity for a series from its maclaurin series, and whether there was a general rule for how to work it out.

Thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by Eux
Im currently revising FP2 and am doing Maclaurin series. I was wondering how you work out the validity for a series from its maclaurin series, and whether there was a general rule for how to work it out.

Thankyou

Radius of convergence. It's Uni material though, so don't expect to understand all of it.
Original post by Zacken
Radius of convergence. It's Uni material though, so don't expect to understand all of it.

So does that not mean we have to work out the validity for, say, arctan(0.5x2)arctan(0.5x-2) OR ln(3x+5)ln(3x+5)
Reply 3
Original post by Eux
So does that not mean we have to work out the validity for, say, arctan(0.5x2)arctan(0.5x-2) OR ln(3x+5)ln(3x+5)

Those are standard expansions, though. You should be able to derive them from the formula booklet immediately, give me a sec.
Reply 4
Original post by Eux

You know ln(1+x)\ln(1 +x) is valid for x1|x| \leq 1 so xf(x)x \mapsto f(x) means the validity is restricted to f(x)1|f(x)| \leq 1.

Write ln(3x+5)=ln5+ln(1+3x5)\ln(3x+5) = \ln 5 + \ln \left(1 + \frac{3x}{5}\right) then the validity is 3x51    x53\left|\frac{3x}{5}\right| \leq 1 \iff |x|\leq \frac{5}{3} which is your radius of convergence.

P.S: I was doing my standard rounds on math.stack a few minutes earlier. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest