The Student Room Group

Unsure whether studying an MSc will benefit me

I've never posted on here but I need some advice and figured this would be a great place to start.

I graduated last May with a 1st class BSc in Digital Media Techology and for the past 11 months have been deliberating whether a masters is the right route for me. I am confident I want a career as a software developer and the MSc would provide me with significantly more knowledge than I have now and fingers crossed i'd have a more elaborate skillset. My worry is that when looking for jobs in this sector there doesn't seem to be any roles that specify that an MSc is a necessity. I'm worried that It'll be a waste of money and time.

If anyone can give me any advice it would be appreciated
Have you been applying to software developer roles and getting rejections? If so, at what stage were you rejected? Did they give feedback?

What have you been doing the past year?

Do you have any relevant experience?
Original post by Stuart0401
I've never posted on here but I need some advice and figured this would be a great place to start.

I graduated last May with a 1st class BSc in Digital Media Techology and for the past 11 months have been deliberating whether a masters is the right route for me. I am confident I want a career as a software developer and the MSc would provide me with significantly more knowledge than I have now and fingers crossed i'd have a more elaborate skillset. My worry is that when looking for jobs in this sector there doesn't seem to be any roles that specify that an MSc is a necessity. I'm worried that It'll be a waste of money and time.

If anyone can give me any advice it would be appreciated

It makes you look more qualified by employers if you have an MSc
Reply 3
Original post by macromicro
Have you been applying to software developer roles and getting rejections? If so, at what stage were you rejected? Did they give feedback?

What have you been doing the past year?

Do you have any relevant experience?

I've been struggling to find software developer roles where I meet the criteria as my course only taught PHP, HTML, CSS, JQuery and MATLAB where a lot of Software Develop roles ask for C+ or C++ or Python. The past year I have been working for a company updating websites on a development platform where HTML and CSS only needs to be changed occasionally.

I'm just in a bit of a dilemma now as i'm unsure on the route to take
Original post by Stuart0401
I've been struggling to find software developer roles where I meet the criteria as my course only taught PHP, HTML, CSS, JQuery and MATLAB where a lot of Software Develop roles ask for C+ or C++ or Python. The past year I have been working for a company updating websites on a development platform where HTML and CSS only needs to be changed occasionally.

I'm just in a bit of a dilemma now as i'm unsure on the route to take

Perhaps a course specifically on the area you are lacking would be more beneficial. Masters are more advanced, building on undergraduate knowledge with a research focus - they aren't really designed to teach you a new subject. Open University modules could be an option or finding a role in which you meet the criteria and where they will let you learn C+/Python on the job.
Having a look on Google for B.Sc. Digital Media Technology and I can see the breadth of what you had studied and I can see that you would want to advance your developing skill set if that is the area you wish to pursue and it seems central to what you would be doing with websites and media.

I am thinking that you have a wider skill set than a web developer and you could somehow use this to your advantage.

Is there anything particular you want to do that studying a software development degree would have been better to do?

You could get on the phone to some companies you would like to work for but maybe on the other side of the country and get asking about how you can get to where you wish to based on what you have done so far and what more you could add to your potential.

As a graduate you should now have both feet in industry and if you go on to masters then you have to have one foot in academia and one foot in industry as to during bachelors it felt as if you were comfortable amongst the books and not tackling real-life problems.

These professionals working at these companies should be able to advise you on the right masters to go for if they think it will really help you get to where you want to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending